Homesbook Factoring Caplan

Berwick Rangers 1-1 Clyde

The Bully Wee were forced to settle for a point in Ladbrokes League 2 today, after completely dominating the match and creating a plethora of chances.

Barry Ferguson made one change to the starting line-up following the Forfar match, with Martin McNiff returning from suspension to take the place of David Gormley.

It didn’t take Clyde long to get on top of proceedings and Phil Johnston had a sight of goal at the back post, but his header went wide.

Peter MacDonald then had two chances in quick succession, but neither found the target.

However, Clyde’s dominance eventually paid off and, after 18 minutes, Scott Linton’s dangerous crossed was forced home by Sean Higgins.

Higgins then put a shot over the bar, before Johnston put a side footed effort wide from the edge of the box.

A second goal looked certain to come as Matt Flynn forced Kevin Walker into a diving save and MacDonald saw his low shot cleared off the line.

As half-time approached, Flynn then had another chance at the edge of the box and should have done better, before the home side grabbed an underserved equaliser. A high ball into the away penalty box was partially punched clear by John Gibson but, as the ‘keeper tried to get back into position, a speculative effort from Steven Thomson found the bottom corner of the net.

Berwick’s only other meaningful effort on goal in the match came early in the second half – in an improved spell for the home side – but Gibson was equal to Greg Hurst’s shot.

As The Bully Wee took control of the play again, Flynn put a glancing header just wide, before he raced onto a through ball and hit the post with a shot from around 20 yards.

Following an excellent team move, Higgins low drive was well gathered by replacement goalkeeper for The Wee Rangers, Sean Brennan.

Ewan McNeil (pictured) then had two attempts from distance; the first which sailed over the bar and a second which was again well stopped by Brennan.

With time running out, Scott McLaughlin couldn’t keep a shot down and MacDonald came away with the ball after a contest with the onrushing Brennan, but the angle was closed down and the chance was lost.

In injury time, Michael McKenna fouled substitute Gormley just outside the box and was shown two yellow cards, for the foul and for the protest. Unfortunately, MacDonald’s subsequent free-kick was disappointing and went over the bar.

There was still time for one more chance – possibly the best – as McNeil’s clever ball over the top put MacDonald through on the ‘keeper, but the striker hesitated and didn’t get a shot away.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.