Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Stirling Albion 1-2 Clyde

The Bully Wee recorded a superb away win in Ladbrokes League 2 this evening, following a gutsy performance and two goals by Scott Linton from the penalty spot.

Barry Ferguson made three changes to the team following Saturday’s win over Berwick Rangers, with Michael Bolochoweckyj, Scott Durie and David Marsh returning to the team. On loan ‘keeper Marc Waters retained his place, but Jon-Paul McGovern was unavailable due to a family illness.

Clyde started the match well and could have taken an early lead when David Marsh got onto the ball in the box, but he couldn’t get his shot on target.

The Bully Wee did then get the ball into the net from a corner, but unfortunately John Gemmell opted to put a finishing touch on Mark McLaughlin’s goal-bound overhead kick, leading to a frustrating offside decision.

The home side took advantage of that mishap and took the lead after 31 minutes when Steven Doris slid in to get on the end of a low cross from the right wing and diverted the ball past Waters.

Waters was then called into action again and made a fantastic save with his right hand to prevent Lewis McLear from doubling the scoreline.

Clyde produced a quick response after the half-time break and Linton’s long throw into the penalty box resulted in Ross Smith making contact with the ball with his arm and referee Mike Roncone, after a delay, pointed to the spot. Linton stepped up to coolly make it 1-1.

As play swung from end to end in an entertaining and, at times, feisty contest, Gemmell had a great chance to give The Bully Wee the lead when the ball broke to him in the box, but he couldn’t get a clean enough shot away to beat Chris Smith.

On 70 minutes, David Gormley’s long pass picked out Linton inside the Stirling box and his first time shot was blocked by Phil Johnstone, adjudged by the referee to be by his arm. Linton once again took the responsibility of taking the penalty and found the bottom corner.

As The Binos threw caution to the wind, Ross McMillan hit the post with a header and Waters made his fair share of contribution to the defensive effort with some good saves. However, on the counter attack, Gemmell was put through on goal but couldn’t direct his shot past Smith to give Clyde some breathing space.

With just over five minutes left to play, Mark McLaughlin was shown a second yellow card for a late tackle and was ordered from the field; following Albion’s manager and assistant manager who had earlier been sent to the stand. From the resulting free-kick, Doris hit the top of the bar with a curling effort.

Clyde’s battling ten men resisted a late Stirling onslaught to secure an important three points in the promotion race and earn a standing ovation from over 200 away supporters at Forthbank.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.