Nairn County 3-2 Clyde

The Bully Wee’s William Hill Scottish Cup campaign came to an end today, following a dramatic but ultimately hugely disappointing replay in the Highlands.

Jim Duffy made one change to the team that played in the original tie last week, with Paul Hay replacing Bryan Gilfillan in the middle of the park.

Clyde started the match strongly and also claimed an early goal. John Sweeney’s corner was met by Stef McCluskey (pictured) and his header evaded all the Nairn defenders present and bounced into the net.

However, against the run of play, the home side took advantage of Clyde losing possession in midfield to score an equaliser through Conor Gethins.

That seemed to give Nairn some confidence and it was somewhat also against the run of play when The Bully Wee took the lead again before half-time. Stuart McColm was pushed in the back at the edge of the box and John Sweeney calmly scored from the spot.

Just after the break, Clyde had a great chance to move into a two-goal lead, but Kevin Watt couldn’t connect with McColm’s low cross.

The second half progressed with the match finely poised but, with ten minutes to go, Clyde missed another glorious chance to score and it triggered a chaotic spell of play. Pat Scullion took advantage of a defensive slip and attempted to lob Callum Donaldson from 25 yards, only to see the home ‘keeper push the ball onto the underside of the bar. As the ball bounced down on the line, it seemed as though the onrushing McCluskey couldn’t miss but Donaldson was able to get up and push his shot away.

Almost immediately, the Wee County went up the park and exploited some poor Clyde defending, with John Cameron rolling the ball into the bottom corner from inside the box.

However, substitute Sean Fitzharris then won another penalty for Clyde when his direct run into the box was illegally ended by a Nairn defender. Sweeney stepped up again, but this time his shot was easily saved by Donaldson.

In the last minute, Nairn grabbed a dramatic winning goal, as Andrew Neill blasted the ball into the net from close range to spark some wild celebrations amongst the home team and support.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, don’t forget to vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.