Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 0-4 Dumbarton

Clyde’s unbeaten run was short-lived after they endured a four-goal annihilation against Dumbarton at a dreich New Douglas Park.

Head Coach Brian McLean opted to retain the same starting XI that drew away to Stenhousemuir, with Jon Craig returning from injury to take a place on the bench.

The Bully Wee were the first to carve an opportunity in the opening seconds when Kian Leslie received the ball from Alex King at the edge of the box from the right-hand flank, but his effort sailed over the bar. Dumbarton also had their taste of the early action when Crighton sent a fleeting ball across the box in the ninth minute, but it bobbled narrowly past the post. In the last notable attempt within an action-packed first quarter of an hour, Lyon fancied his chances as he curled the ball at goal from a couple of yards, but Long was quick smart in diving low to deny the home captain.

The visitors were looking increasingly dangerous on the attack as they aimed to draw first blood. Leighfield was on alert as he crouched low to block Pignatellio’s effort from close-range. However, it wasn’t long until the Sons broke the deadlock in the 19th minute. A through ball found its way to Ryan Wallace, who ran through and placed it beyond Leighfield, as the home defence waited for an offside flag that never came.

Dumbarton doubled their advantage just before the interval courtesy of a Tony Wallace spot-kick. The referee pointed to the spot after a collision of bodies in the penalty area, which resulted in the former Clyde midfielder slotting the ball coolly past Leighfield.

In contrast, it was a less eventful start to the second period with neither ‘keeper being seriously tested. Martin Rennie tried his luck as he swung a cross into the goalmouth, but it flew agonisingly past the target.

As proceedings wore on, The Bully Wee were providing a lack of much-needed urgency and conviction on the ball and paid the price when the Sons added their third after 66 minutes on the clock. Ruth pounced on Clyde’s inability to clear their lines and released a low strike into the corner from deep inside the box.

The Bully Wee then survived a scare after Dumbarton came within a hairs-width of securing a quartet of goals five minutes later. Ruth’s effort could only bounce off the inside of the woodwork, while Ryan Wallace’s quickfire rebound whistled over the target.

However, the situation was only to get worse for the hosts as the visitors drilled home their fourth in the 81st minute through Hilton.

Brett Long ensured his clean sheet was intact by denying Ross Forbes from long range in stoppage time.


Pictures by Craig Black