Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

East Fife 0-1 Clyde

The Bully Wee will take a slender lead into Friday’s cinch League 1 playoff semi-final second leg against East Fife, after Martin Rennie’s second half goal saw Clyde come away from Bayview with a 1-0 victory this evening.

Jim Duffy made four changes to his side, with Ryan Mullen, Brian McLean, Kurtis Roberts and Martin Rennie all returning to the starting XI.

Clyde almost made the best possible start to the game in the third minute when Liam Scullion broke down the right wing and fizzed a cross into the danger area. Allan Fleming came out to save with his foot and the ball bounced off Martin Rennie back towards goal, but the ‘keeper was able to adjust his position and claim the ball at the second attempt.

Alan Trouten then hit a dipping volley from distance whilst Ryan Mullen held, whilst at the other end Kurtis Roberts saw his volley go just over the bar.

The Fifers came close when a free-kick was drifted into the box and was met by the head of an attacker but it went narrowly wide.

Cameron Salkeld then flashed the ball across the face of goal but Fleming got a vital touch on it to take it out the path of the onrushing Euan Cameron at the back post.

It was becoming end-to-end as Brian McLean had to make an excellent defensive header from a teasing cross before Mullen was forced into a strong save from a powerful drive, and then reacted quickly to gather the loose ball.

Scullion was dangerous down the right again when he burst through and sent a cross in but it just evaded the head of Cameron, before The Fifers broke quickly through Scott Shepherd. The forward drove through on goal but Mullen pulled off a superb stop to deny him.

Clyde broke the deadlock eight minutes after the interval when Salkeld showed great strength and determination to keep the ball in play at the by-line, before squaring it for Martin Rennie who poked it home from close range.

Darren Hynes’ long throw into the box was met by Erik Sula but his header and follow up shot were blocked, and then Brogan Walls got a sight of goal from outside the box and he forced Mullen into yet another fine save.

Salkeld then had a great chance to double the lead midway through the half after breaking through one-on-one with Fleming but he sent his shot agonisingly past the post.

Healy took a pop from a free-kick 30 yards out with two minutes remaining but saw his effort land on the roof of the net, before Mullen was called into action again but he made another big save to preserve his clean sheet and Clyde’s first leg lead.

REACTION — Jim Duffy’s post match comments

MAN OF THE MATCH SPONSORED BY CALL ROBERT – If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a Forum account, you can vote for your Man of the Match in the Club Forum.