Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 0-2 FC Edinburgh

Clyde’s search for a first cinch League 1 win since August continued as Edinburgh eased to victory at New Douglas Park this afternoon.

Jim Duffy made a triple change from last weekend’s Scottish Cup exit to Dumbarton with Barry Cuddihy and Erik Sula replacing Liam Scullion and Euan Cameron, while Brian McLean was brought in for the suspended Peter Grant.

The opening 15 minutes was a cagey affair with neither team able to create any threat on the ball going forward. The Citizens broke the deadlock in the 17th minute in a bemusing fashion. Erik Sula attempted to clear a high bouncing ball with his head and was caught by John Robertson’s high foot, and the visiting forward proceeded to lob the ball over the head of Neil Parry into the net. Astonishinghly referee Matthew MacDermid decided no foul occurred and the goal stood.

There was more controversy shortly afterwards after a stramash in the Edinburgh box resulted in Sula cracking a shot bound for target which hit the arm of Liam Fontaine away from his body, but MacDermid again decided he hadn’t seen a foul.

As proceedings reached the half-hour mark, there was little to report as action remained tight in the middle of the park. The visitors continued to maintain the majority of possession, but struggled to break through a stubborn Clyde defence. Shanley came closest for the away side with a shot from close-range, but Parry reacted quickly to block.

The Bully Wee were awarded an indirect free-kick in the dying seconds of the first half, however, Jordan Allan’s effort could only bruise the defensive wall as the capital side went into the interval with a slender lead.

Clyde had the first real chance after the restart as Jon Craig squared the ball to Ray Grant, but it landed straight in the hands of Mutch.

The hosts aimed to advance up the park in the hunt for an equaliser, but the visitors were quick to clear any danger as neither ‘keeper were seriously tested.

However, the visitors were making their opportunities count as they doubled their advantage in the 67th minute. The ball was shoved into Daniel Handling’s path, and he struck a shot from distance, which took a big deflection past Parry.

With the match entering the final 10 minutes, chances for both sides continued to be few and far between as Edinburgh maintained their dominance in an attempt to preserve their lead, while the Bully Wee desperately tried to haul bodies forward.

Euan Cameron squandered a late opportunity in the 85th minute after the ‘keeper spilled the ball into the box, but he blazed his effort wide. Jordan Allan’s header then whistled past the woodwork to compound a miserable afternoon.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.