Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 1-3 Dumbarton

Clyde were knocked out of the Scottish Cup this evening as they succumbed to a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Dumbarton.

Jim Duffy made one change from the starting XI that drew with Falkirk last Saturday with Oliver McDonald replacing the injured Ross Cunningham.

Clyde had the first clear chance in the fifth minute when Jordan Allan connected onto Euan Cameron’s cross, but his shot skewed wide. There was a controversial moment only seconds later as Buchanan judged his header to have crossed the line for the visitors, however, the referee instead awarded a free-kick for the hosts.

The Sons’ started to grow into the game with Orsi flinging a cross towards Wylde whose header missed the target. The former Bully Wee defender spurned another opportunity in the 10th minute after Wilson knocked a pass at his feet, but Steven Thicot was quick to intercept. The away side’s early dominance paid off as they opened the scoring in the 19th minute. There was no uncertainty this time as a deflected shot landed generously in Wilson’s path, who slotted a clinical finish past Neil Parry.

Wilson came close to doubling the Sons’ advantage four minutes later as he struck a header wide from 12 yards while The Bully Wee struggled to get a foothold into the game.

As proceedings reached the half-hour mark, the home side were still unable to break through, but they were beginning to limit their opponents at the other end. However, it was short-lived as Wallace grabbed the Sons’ second in the 36th minute. It was second time lucky for the forward as he caught onto the end of Wylde’s cross to poke the ball into the net.

With the match entering the final minutes before the interval, only then did Clyde present any signs of creating. Kurtis Roberts leapt up to head Ray Grant’s free-kick, however, he didn’t muster enough strength and it was calmly collected by Long. Grant then flung a menacing free-kick at the face of goal, but the ‘keeper struck a glove to the ball as it rolled over the bar.

Dumbarton got off on the front foot after the break as they continued to press forward in the search to extend their lead, however, the hosts withheld the pressure as both teams battled the elements. Buchanan was the closest to testing Parry in the 59th minute as he drilled a header from close-range which missed the target.

The Bully Wee pulled a goal back shortly after the hour to cut the deficit. Cameron drove forward to the back post and found Olly McDonald, who knocked the ball home. This seemed to galvanise the home side as they started to claw back possession. Gomis was next to try his luck from the edge of the box in the 69th minute, but his shot went narrowly wide.

The action was sparse as the evening progressed with Clyde attempting to navigate their way past a stubborn opposition defence intent on preserving their lead. The hosts then began to push themselves up the park as the clock ticked down. Paul Kennedy sent a low cross across the face of goal, but Erik Sula was unable to connect, while Barry Cuddihy muscled into the box and unleashed a strong effort, which swerved wide.

However, Clyde’s last-gasp efforts would amount to nothing as the Sons’ restored their two-goal advantage in the fourth minute of injury time. The visitors pounced on a defensive slipup as MacLean found ample space to strike a powerful shot into the roof of the net.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.