Clyde 1-2 Queen of the South

Clyde’s run of straight cinch League 1 defeats stretched to nine matches as a late penalty denied them a share of the spoils against Queen of the South at New Douglas Park.

Danny Lennon altered his formation with three changes from Tuesday’s defeat to Dunfermline as Ryan Mullen, Paul Kennedy and Kurtis Roberts were drafted in to replace Neil Parry, Barry Cuddihy and Steven Thicot, the latter two missing with minor injuries.

There was little to report in the opening 10 minutes as both teams took time to settle into the game. Morgaro Gomis drove forward as Clyde began to build-up some decent play around the visitor’s box, however, they were unable to create any threatening shots at goal.

The hosts continued to show positive signs in attack as Jordan Allan connected onto Ross Cunningham’s delivery, only to find his effort to be blocked, while Ray Grant’s shot from outside the box was fired straight at Currie.

Despite this, it was Queen of the South who drew first blood with the opening goal in the 19th minute. Gomis’s pass was swiftly interpreted by Reilly. The forward then preceded to menacingly roll a low cross to Paton, who slotted the ball beyond Mullen.

As the half hour approached, the match reverted into a tight battle at the middle of the park. The Doonhamers’ then attempted to push forward as Murray sprinted down the right-hand side and sent in a cross from six-yards, but it was too far for any Queen’s bodies to collect.

In the 34th minute, Euan Cameron snatched back possession on the half-way line and slithered past opposition defenders as he closed in on the target, however, the sheer strength of his effort caused the ball to fly wide.

The Dumfries side were awarded a free-kick seconds before the interval with a header sending Murray’s shot behind the goal.

Clyde were forced into a change between the sticks at the break as Neil Parry replaced the injured Mullen.

Shortly after the re-start, Cameron readied himself to hit an effort, after the Bully Wee managed to break forward, however, the linesman raised his offside flag.

The Bully Wee kept making subtle presses to test Queen’s defence in the search for an equaliser, which came to fruition on the hour mark. Ray Grant prodded the ball to Cameron, who in turn, knocked it into the path of Cunningham. The forward then fired an effort from the edge of the box straight into the net.

Cunningham was only denied by Currie’s fingertips as he attempted to double his lead three minutes later. Clyde’s number 10 sent a curling effort straight at the target, however, the ‘keeper reacted quickly to make a stop.

The action was cranked up a notch in the 70th minute as the hosts allowed Murray ample space in the box, but his shot flinched narrowly wide. At the other end, Cunningham was yet again the thorn in the visitor’s side as he sneaked his way into the box, only to be denied by Currie.

With seven minutes of normal time remaining, the Doonhamers’ regained their lead after Ruth was fouled by Lyon in the penalty area. Parry guessed correctly, however, Murray made no mistake from the spot, as he crashed the ball into the net.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.