Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

FC Edinburgh 2-0 Clyde

Clyde were left to curse missed opportunities as they fell to defeat in the capital.

Danny Lennon made a double change from the side that lost to Montrose last time out with Jordan Allan and Kurtis Roberts going out for Euan Cameron and Liam Scullion, whilst Steven Thicot made his debut from the bench.

The first chance of the match fell to Clyde in the sixth minute as both Brian McLean and Erik Sula fought out a Scullion corner, however, it was headed over the bar. Morgaro Gomis then cut across to Ross Cunningham who struggled to put enough strength to an overhead shot at goal, which was denied by Robbie Mutch.

Scullion then whipped in a corner to serve Sula, but his header was blocked by keeper’ as the Bully Wee continued to press in the opening minutes. Mutch had his hands full only seconds later as he went down low to yet again deny Cunningham and recovered quickly to save Scullion’s rebound.

However, it was the Citizens who opened the scoring in the 15th minute as Peter Grant and Neil Parry crashed into each other dealing with a ball over the top, only for See, despite Sula’s last-gasp attempt at a clearance, to roll it into an empty net.

Parry was called into action yet again seven minutes later and this time denied See by sticking a palm out to block his shot. The visitors then came heart-wretchedly close to an equaliser, as Gomis drove forward to play in Cameron who turned to hit an effort from a tight angle, which rolled across the face of goal.

As the match progressed, Cameron went shoulder-to-shoulder with an opponent as they raced towards goal, however, he didn’t quite manage to reach it and the ball was planted in the hands of Mutch. Cunningham then got in the thick of the action at the goalmouth as he worked a low shot which was blocked.

Cameron was next to try his luck in the final five minutes of the first period, however, he struggled to put weight behind his shot, which was comfortably saved by Mutch. Cunningham then blazed a free-kick narrowly wide just before the whistle blew for the interval.

The Bully Wee were the first to come out of the traps after the break as Scullion almost caught Mutch unaware with an effort at the near post, but the keeper’ reacted promptly to collect. At the other end, Crane’s effort was tipped over by Parry.

FC Edinburgh doubled their advantage in the 61st minute as they battered past Clyde bodies to square the ball at Robertson’s feet, who hit it home from the bottom corner.

Olly McDonald got his first taste of action from the afternoon with a dipping shot which was saved by Mutch. Cunningham then connected to Jordan Allan’s shot to hit an effort at the face of goal, only for it to sail past the post.

Clyde scuppered yet another chance with 15 minutes remaining as they smothered the box with Allan squaring the ball to McDonald, who blazed the ball wide.

Allan was the last to seriously test Mutch, however, the man between the sticks stretched out his glove to knock his effort wide.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.