Homesbook Factoring Caplan

Falkirk 1-2 Clyde

A depleted Clyde side turned in a performance full of grit and determination to come from behind and pick up a deserved three points in Falkirk this afternoon, to finish 2021 in the top half of the cinch League 1 table.

The Bully Wee were down to the bare bones, with David Goodwillie amongst six players unavailable, and Danny Lennon could only name three subs on the bench.

The home side had most of the ball in the first half and forced Neil Parry into an early save, with the ‘keeper getting both hands behind an effort from Aidan Nesbitt to turn it behind.

It was Clyde who had the better chances though and passed up two great opportunities in quick succession. Ally Love’s cross from deep was met at the back post by Adam Livingstone, but his volley was saved by Paddy Martin in the Falkirk goal. Seconds later Livingstone stuck a cross in and Love managed to nip in between two defenders, but blazed over from a few yards out.

Robert Jones did head the ball into the net in the 20th minute but the goal was ruled out for an apparent push, which looked soft.

Ross Cunningham then showed good skill to turn a defender and fired an effort on target, which Martin let slip between his legs, but he was able to regather the ball before it crossed the line.

Cunningham got involved again and outpaced The Bairns defence, sending the ball into a good area but Mackenzie Lemon was able to clear, whilst at the other end Aidan Keena curled an effort across the face of the Clyde goal.

Falkirk took the lead five minutes after the restart after Alan Newlands pointed to the spot, deeming Mark Docherty guilting of fouling Callumn Morrison in the box. Keena took the spot kick and made no mistake.

The Bairns then looked for a quick second but Parry made two excellent saves with his legs to keep Clyde in the game.

Newlands pointed to the spot in the next passage of play when Brad McKay caught Jones with an arm in the face in the box. Love, Clyde’s captain for the day, blasted the penalty down the middle of the goal to get back on level terms.

The Bully Wee then suffered another blow when Cunningham was forced off after the equaliser with a shoulder injury.

With 75 minutes played, The Bully Wee scored the winning goal. Jones flicked a header on and Aaron Splaine ran onto it, driving towards the Falkirk goal and fizzed an effort with his left foot from the edge of the box. Martin got a hand to it, but couldn’t keep it out the net.

Clyde defended their lead well for the remainder of the game, with the home side unable to break them down or create any clear cut chances.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.