Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 2-1 East Fife

Thu, 6th May 2021 10:29pm

The Bully Wee left it late but took the required three points against East Fife at Broadwood this evening, to secure their place in League One for next season.

Danny Lennon made two changes to the side that beat Dumbarton on Saturday, with David Mitchell replacing David Wilson in goals, and Ewan Otoo taking the place of the injured Craig Howie. 

Clyde came out looking fired up and dominated the first half. A low cross into the box from David Goodwillie was held by Jordan Hart, and then Ross Cunningham curled a shot from the edge of the box over the bar. 

Martin McNiff got on the end of a cross but was unable to make a proper connection with the ball, whilst Goodwillie saw a low drive from distance turned round the post by Hart. 

The Fifers had a good chance to break the deadlock midway through the half when Greig Spence had a free header from a free-kick, but nodded narrowly past the post. 

Cunningham had another effort when he got on the end of a Lamont ball across the box, but he was unable to find the target. 
The Bully Wee finally broke the deadlock four minutes before the interval. A deep cross from Cunningham was knocked back by Goodwillie into the path of Ally Love, who blasted home from close range. 

East Fife were back on level terms four minutes after the restart when referee Chris Graham deemed Scott Rumsby held Ross Dunlop back on the box. Scott Agnew made no mistake from the spot, sending David Mitchell the wrong way. 

Sean Brown had two good chances to put his side in the lead, but sent a shot narrowly wide, and then had a header hooked off the line by Mark Lamont.

Clyde however did not give up and got their reward with eight minutes remaining. Lewis Jamieson cut inside the box and fired a shot on target which Hart parried. Michael McGlinchey then got on the rebound and chipped the ball into the centre of the goalmouth, where Goodwillie was on hand to head into the net.

It was a nervy last ten minutes at Broadwood but all Bully Wee players stood tall and held onto their lead to avoid the relegation playoffs, and ensure a third consecutive season in League One.

If you watched today's match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.

Pictures by Craig Black