Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Berwick Rangers 0-3 Clyde

The Bully Wee extended their undefeated run to 10 games this afternoon, following a dominant display against Berwick Rangers at Shielfield.

Danny Lennon made just one change to his side, with Tom Lang coming in to replace Dylan Cogill.

Clyde took control of the match in the opening stages and that was to continue for most of the rest of the match. The early dominance brought a goal after nine minutes. After Jack Boyle was brought down at the edge of the box, John Rankin’s powerful free-kick was spilled by home ‘keeper Allison and Chris McStay reacted well to slot home the rebound; also recording his first league goal of the season.

Mark Lamont’s low shot was then tipped round the post, before David Goodwillie missed a great chance to score from close range, but his header went over the bar.

Berwick’s first real attack of the match almost led to an equaliser against the run of play, but Matthew Knox’s shot was blocked as Clyde’s defence scrambled back following the counter.

A lovely pass by Boyle to Rankin almost brought a second goal, but Allison rushed out from his line to block the danger.

The next goal did arrive on 36 minutes though, as Rankin found Goodwillie in the box and the striker found the bottom corner. 

The Bully Wee’s top scorer had required lengthy treatment after taking a heavy knock to the arm while scoring, but thankfully was able to play on and almost scored another before the half-time break, with Allison producing a fine low save to deny him.

The second half continued with a similar pattern and McStay saw his shot, from just outside the box, flash wide of the post.

Tom Lang was in the right place to block a Berwick shot that was heading on target, following a corner, in what was probably the hosts best chance to get back into the match.

Clyde went on to create more chances throughout the second period; starting with Goodwillie whose shot from an angle just missed the far post.

McStay’s effort was then saved by Allison, with Goodwillie unable to find enough space to convert the rebound, before McStay had another sight of goal following a lovely team move but his shot – which looked a certain goal – flashed wide of the target.

In the closing minutes, there was a strong shout for a penalty as Rankin’s shot appeared to be blocked by the arm of a Berwick defender lying on the pitch, but the referee waved for play on.

However, in injury time, a bit of extra gloss was added to the victory as Rankin curled a superb free-kick into the corner of the net from 25 yards out.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.