Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Forfar Athletic 4-3 Clyde

The Bully Wee had a disappointing Boxing Day in Angus, as league leaders Forfar twice came back from behind to take a dramatic victory and a commanding position overall in the Ladbrokes League 2 title race.

Matty Flynn came into the side to replace the suspended Sean Higgins, with Phil Johnson also making his first start since the Berwick Rangers game in mid November. Under-20 squad member Aaron Millar was also named on the bench for the first time.

Forfar started brightly and were ahead within 10 minutes when a Gavin Swankie shot from the left sailed over John Gibson.

Gradually, Clyde came into the game and were level on 20 minutes through a superb McNeill volley which gave Forfar ‘keeper Grant Adam no chance. 

The Bully Wee began to take the upper hand after that, but were denied what looked like a clear penalty ten minutes before the break when Scott McLaughlin was brought down in the box.

Two goal line clearances and a MacDonald miss from close range looked like preventing Clyde from going in with an interval lead but David Gormley put Clyde ahead in the 44th minute with a brave header from a MacDonald free kick.

The second half started as the first had ended with Clyde in the ascendancy but it was The Loons who found the net next, when a ball that split the Clyde defence was finished off by Fotheringham. 

With both teams going for the win, Clyde struck again on 68 minutes when MacDonald converted from the spot after Gormley was upended in the box.

However, the lead lasted just 11 minutes before substitute Lister scored with a header after a cross from the left.

The home side repeated the move in the last minute when Cox headed home to give his team a dramatic late winner and send Clyde home pointless, after a good performance that was undone by two late defensive errors.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.