Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 3-2 Berwick Rangers

The Bully Wee moved up to second in the Ladbrokes League 2 table this afternoon, thanks to a victory over Berwick Rangers that should have been more comfortable than the final scoreline suggests.

Following last week’s disappointing defeat at Arbroath, Barry Ferguson made two changes to the starting line-up with Ross Perry and Darren Miller coming in for Martin McNiff and Chris Smith.

Clyde started the match brightly and Peter MacDonald had a good early chance, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

The visitors had been under pressure for most of the opening stages of the game, but almost scored with their first real attack. A low cross from the right went through several players and eventually fell to Greg Hurst at the back post, but John Gibson did well to scramble across his line and keep the shot out.

Sean Higgins was then unlucky to see his low drive from the edge of the box flash just past the post.

After 23 minutes, Clyde’s pressure finally paid off when MacDonald was fouled at the edge of the box and from the resulting free-kick, the forward put a lovely shot over the wall and into the corner of the net.

Early in the second half, the match looked to be over when MacDonald’s knock down fell to David Gormley in the box and he expertly steered the ball into the far corner of the net to make it 2-0.

A cheap goal for Greg Rutherford gave The Wee Rangers hope, but as The Bully Wee pushed forward for another goal, MacDonald was denied by two good Kevin Walker saves in quick succession, 

However, four minutes after their first goal, Berwick levelled when Hurst collected the ball on the right side of the penalty area and did well to score with a low shot.

There was another twist as Darren Lavery caught Clyde substitute Scott Ferguson with a high tackle and was shown a straight red card by referee Craig Napier.

Despite that, the next clear-cut chance came when a Berwick breakaway created an opening and Gibson did just enough to prevent a third goal.

With 81 minutes on the clock, more Clyde pressure led to a corner and Darren Miller’s deep delivery was met by Chris Smith – who replaced the injured Phil Johnston – and the big defender forced the ball in from close range.

There was one late chance for Berwick as Daniel Watt fired over the bar, but Clyde held on for a crucial three points in the promotion race. 

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.