Clyde 2-1 Elgin City

The Bully Wee secured an excellent victory over promotion rivals Elgin City at Broadwood yesterday, after a superb start to the match that produced two goals in the opening six minutes.

Barry Ferguson made one change to the team following last week’s draw with Stirling Albion, with David Gormley coming in for Matt Flynn.

It took Gormley just ninety seconds to put The Bully Wee ahead, and get his first goal of the season in the process. Following great work by Ewan McNeil, the forward was left one on one with the keeper and he made no mistake from close range.

Clyde were looking lively in the early stages and capped a great start by scoring a second with just over five minutes on the clock. Peter MacDonald was on hand to loop a header over former Clyde keeper Marc Waters, after a cross from the right from the busy McNeil.

Despite a few attempts from the visitors, Clyde coped comfortably but central defender Ross Perry limped off to be replaced by Scott Ferguson on 40 minutes.

This forced The Bully Wee to reshuffle but worse was to follow when Gormley was booked for a tackle near the technical areas and a fracas ensued which saw both managers sent to the stand by referee Mike Roncone. As the half-time whistle sounded, assistant manager Bob Malcolm was also given his marching orders.

The second half resumed with Perry looking after the side from the touchline, as the absence of the Clyde management team seemed to spur the visitors on.

Elgin brought on Moore for Reid, began imposing themselves on the game and pulled a goal back in the 59th minute through Darryl McHardy.

The Black and Whites then sent on striker Craig Gunn as they went all out for the equaliser and it took all the grit and determination Clyde could muster to hang on and take all three points.

In injury time, Michael Oliver came on for Gormley from a bench that contained the youngest set of Clyde substitutes in living memory.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.