Dumbarton 3-3 Clyde

Clyde’s feint hopes of survival became even slimmer after an action-packed draw at the Strathclyde Homes Stadium tonight, but it was a spirited display that left the travelling supporters pleased with the application of the team.

Willie Sawyers was rested, with John Stewart replacing him up front in the only change to the team that won at Stenhousemuir.

The match had a fairly even start, but it was the hosts who went ahead after 21 minutes. The Bully Wee failed to fully clear the danger from a corner and Wyness took advantage by getting a second cross over, which was knocked down for Derek Carcary to slam the ball home.

Clyde hit back though, with Adam Strachan converting a penalty after John Stewart was pushed over in the box.

The Sons regained the lead when Willie McLachlan was caught for pace by the lively Carcary, who slotted the ball past the advancing Callum Reidford.

Two great moves in quick succession then provided the Bully Wee with chances to equalise once again. John Stewart was on the end of both; firstly being unlucky to see his header go just past the post, then putting the ball over from close range after pulling the ball down.

Dumbarton dished out a cruel sucker punch on the stroke of half-time, as Clyde’s defence struggled again and Winters was left with an easy chance to make it 3-1.

Stewart was involved again after the break as he ended up clean through on goal, but could have no excuses for missing this time as he opted to try and take the ball round the ‘keeper and failed to get a shot away.

Just as it looked as though the home side may see out the rest of the match, Clyde grabbed a goal back with a spectacular strike. A clearance fell to Neil McGowan around 35 yards from goal and he fired an absolute cracker into the top corner of the net.

That spurred the Bully Wee on and they forced an equaliser with ten minutes to go. A corner caused confusion in the Sons’ box and a second penalty was awarded by the referee, with the offence being unclear after appeals for both a foul and handball. Strachan was the man given the responsibility again and he found the same corner of the net to make it 3-3.

Clyde chased a winning goal but couldn’t find a way to create any more clear-cut chances, with Aleks Gramovics just failing to reach a through pass that would have given him a golden opportunity to strike for glory.

If you were at tonight’s match and are a website member, don’t forget to vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote