Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Broadwood Clyde 5 V 3 Morton

Broadwood booked a place in their first ever Final with a thrilling victory in this pulsating Scottish Supporters League Inter Division Trophy semi-final tie. Broadwood were out for a bit of Bully Wee revenge as Morton had trounced the Glasgow Clyde supporters 7-0 in the previous round.

Right from the start there was drama when, after some early Clyde pressure, a S.Wandrum pass was deflected by the referee to a Morton player who played it down the wing and the cross caught McEwan’s arm. Morton scored the penalty and the Second Division Champions were ahead with three minutes gone. Broadwood responded by piling on the pressure and they nearly scored soon after when Aitken burst forward from defence and fired in from 40 yards. The keeper was well beaten but agonizingly the ball crashed off the bar and over. Reilly and S.Wandrum took a grip in midfield and Horne was working his magic on the wing. A number of free-kicks were awarded in dangerous areas, but Horne, Kimmett, Reilly and McEwan couldn’t find the net. Chances also fell to Nizbett and McNeil but they couldn’t take them. Finally the breakthrough came when good work from McNeil led to a stramash in the box and S.Wandrum reacted first and prodded home from close range. Broadwood couldn’t add to their tally in the first half and expected a torrid time against the wind in the second.

The expected onslaught didn’t come though, and credit must be give to McMahon and Nizbett who chased down everything. Tough tackling from McEwan and Kimmett kept Morton at bay and allowed Broadwood to attack at will. Broadwood deservedly took the lead with a move straight from the training ground – McMahon and McNeil combined to set up Horne who beat his marker to score on the volley. Moments later Nizbett and Horne combined almost identically to cross for McNeil and he also made no mistake with his finish. McMahon nearly got in on the act himself when his deflected thunderbolt nearly caught out the keeper, only a brilliant save kept it out. As time ticked by Morton pushed more players forward and with 15 minutes left they got a lifeline when Kimmett was out jumped and the flick on was steered into the net. D.Wandrum came on for the tiring Nizbett to try and stabilize the defence. Then more drama. McEwan was involved in a tussle on the edge of the Broadwood box, the Morton striker made the most of it and a free-kick was awarded. With seconds left, he sent it screaming into the top corner and the tie into extra time.

Extra time started better for Morton, still with their tails up after that extraordinary equalizer. In a flowing move they carved open the Broadwood defence and with Aitken struggling to get back, only a brave point blank save by C.Wandrum kept parity. Tired legs were beginning to show and McGee was brought on for McMahon, this paid dividends almost immediately when a cross was flighted into the box. Horne battled with the defender and the ball was flicked into the air. With his back to goal, McGee unleashed an overhead kick that was as accurate as it was acrobatic and the ball flew past the keeper. Broadwood had their noses in front again.

The second half of extra time saw more drama. McGee had a goal cruelly chopped off for an alleged offside and S.Wandrum capped off a fine performance by heading home the clincher after a fine move down the right. Bryant came on for McNeil and set up Andrews for a chance but the keeper saved well at the gangly utility man’s feet. No more goals were needed though and Broadwood go into the final with Linvale Clydebank confident of success. The many fans were treated to a typical cup tie played with passion and flair but in a sportsmanlike manner befitting the Scottish Supporters League.

Man of the Match: Scott Wandrum

Line-up: C.Wandrum, Aitken, Andrews, McEwan, Kimmett(