Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 2 Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 8th May 2004
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 4,850
Referee: J Rowbotham
Inverness Caledonian Thistle


Clyde   Inverness Caledonian Thistle
pen. (72) Harty Keogh (54)
  Hislop (79)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Halliwell Brown
McCluskey Golabek Yellow Card
McCann Mann
(72) Kernaghan McCaffrey
McLaughlin Proctor (82)
Ross Hart
(56) Hagen McBain
Marshall Wilson Yellow Card
(56) Smith Keogh Yellow Card
Gibson Bingham
Harty Ritchie (73)
(56) Gilhaney Munro (82)
Morrison Fraser
(56) Keogh Thomson
McConalogue Hislop (73)
(72) Fotheringham McMillan

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

With everything seemingly in Clyde's favour, and the home stand full for once, sadly the team forgot to turn up. Clyde lost to a far sharper and creative Inverness team who now have the title within their grasp. It was one of those days when Clyde looked as though they'd been doped as they were second to the ball so often. Even when they were given a lifeline to get back into the game with a penalty they still couldn't hold out for a point. All very depressing stuff but it's not over yet.

With Mensing's suspension the manager returned to the team and McCluskey went to right back. Hagen was recalled on the left with Smith and Harty the strikers in a 4-4-2. The opening spell was very scrappy with both sides intent on giving nothing away but even then Inverness looked the sharper team. Clear chances were few but they were all made by Inverness. Halliwell did particularly well to beat away a header from a corner at his near post. Clyde were outgunned in midfield and resorted to a long game that Inverness and Bobby Mann coped with quite easily.

Despite the stalemate neither team made changes at half time. For Clyde it was more of same with Inverness applying the pressure. It looked like the pressure would eventually tell and it did. Following some head tennis in and out of the box the ball fell to Liam Keogh and his shot from the edge of the box found the net with Halliwell helpless. This immediately stung Clyde into action with Smith and Hagen being pulled for Keogh and Gilhaney. This gave Clyde a lift and more attacking options but also left them wide open at the back. Inverness had at least three clear chances to kill the game but contrived to miss them all. Clyde then found themselves right back in the game. Gilhaney found himself free in the box but the keeper saved the first attempt. In the follow up the ball struck an Inverness arm. Harty, forgetting his nightmare in the last Inverness game, blasted the ball straight down the middle. Kernaghan was feeling the pace and was replaced by Fotheringham. Both teams fancied their chances but it was Inverness who struck with ten minutes to go. Liam Keogh had a strong run across the face of the box before checking and crossing. Hislop lost his marker and sent a powerful header past Halliwell. There was no way back as Inverness played out the game in the corner area.

A very bitter pill to swallow indeed. Clyde didn't handle the occasion at all or do themselves justice in front of a large home crowd. Saddest sight of all was Jack Ross trooping off after his last appearance at Broadwood. Still we must remain positive. Nerves may get to Inverness. A draw for them and a win for Clyde will see us snatch the title. Here's hoping!


Halliwell **** Some fine saves and looked confident at crosses.
McCluskey *** Steady enough in the right back role.
McCann *** OK in defence but very wasteful with possession.
Kernaghan *** Did his stint but obviously short of match fitness,
McLaughlin *** Pass marks on a tough day.
Ross ** Outgunned in midfield and rarely seen breaking forward.
Hagen ** Frustrating time as he lost so much possession.
Marshall ** Nervous start but didn't lack effort throughout.
Smith ** Little service or support and clumsy lay offs.
Gibson ** Odd flashes but overran in midfield.
Harty ** No service and hardly a sniff of goal.

Gilhaney *** Provided the spark Clyde badly needed.
Keogh ** Suffered the same fate as the other strikers.
Fotheringham * Not enough time to contribute properly.


ALAN KERNAGHAN - "We're disappointed but if we look at it cold heartedly we just had too many players who didn't play to their potential today and they did. That was the major factor in the game.

"It wasn't a great game from our point of view - we didn't really create much - and we got punished for it. Their second goal had been coming. When you aren't playing well you are always open to that.

"Tension is probably something you could put it down to but I don't know whether or not to put it all down to that to tell you the truth - I'm not that broad minded as of yet.

"I thought if we could have held on for a draw then we would have got away pretty lucky. I got cramp because I hadn't played for a while.

"It is an anti-climax. The place would have been bouncing if we had got the right result but we didn't and you have to take the rough with the smooth unfortunately. We've had some good days this year but this is the worst so far. We have to get over it pretty quickly and look forward to Brechin.

"There's no point in saying anything to the players today. They're very disappointed but they just have to come in on Monday and be good professionals and get on with. We need a big bit of luck next Saturday."