Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Forfar Athletic 2-1 Clyde

Clyde fell to a late defeat at Station Park as Matthew Allan’s deflected strike late on secured the points for the hosts. 

Ian McCall made one change to his side from last Saturday, with Robbie Leitch replacing Barry Cuddihy, who was nursing a groin issue.

The Bully Wee looked to push for an early lead and within the opening seconds Robbie Leitch let loose from outside the box but it was comfortably held by McCallum.  This seemed to spark Forfar in to life and they proceeded to camp in Clyde’s final third and a series of set plays threatened to break the deadlock but our defence held firm.  As the half progressed, Clyde began to settle and with Cammy Ballantyne finding pockets of space to dictate play, the play started to swing down the other end more regularly.

Clear cut chances were still at a premium and as the half looked like it would end goalless, Robbie Leitch drove forward and unleased a shot that was well saved by McCallum but Liam Scullion arrived first to the loose ball to knock home to give a lead at the break.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first as Forfar looked to go direct and it continued to bring them success in winning corners and apply pressure.  It was not a surprise that it was the same pattern of play that brought the hosts level.  A long, diagonal ball in to the box ricocheted off two Clyde defenders and fell at the feet of Rayan Mohammed to slot home the leveller. 

A wicked Alex King cross from a free kick came agonizingly close to finding Martin Rennie but February’s League Two player of the month couldn’t get the required touch.  It was a rare foray in the Forfar territory in the second half and Forfar continued to put the pressure on with a series of corners and set plays and it was from one of those that would provide the winner.  A long throw in to the box could only be partially cleared, falling to Matthew Allan whose shot took a huge deflection and loop over the helpless Kinnear. 

There was still time for Clyde to create a couple of chances to grab a point with Jordan Allan coming closest forcing a fine save from McCallum and Erik Sula heading over as the full time whistle approached but it was not to be and Clyde fell to their first defeat in 3 games. 

Picture by David Simmonds