Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 2-0 Dumbarton

Clyde halted a five-match winless league run as they eased to a comfortable victory over promotion play-off hopefuls Dumbarton at New Douglas Park.

Ian McCall made four changes from the starting lineup against Stranraer with goalkeeper Brian Kinnear handed his debut while Jaze Kabia, Raymond Grant and Martin Rennie all returned from the bench in place of Logan Dunachie, Connor Young and the suspended Ross Lyon.

After a subdued start to the match, The Bully Wee opened the scoring in the 12th minute with their first shot on target. An unmarked Martin Rennie maintained possession of the ball as he muscled his way past numerous Dumbarton defenders to unleash a thunderous strike from the edge of the box which rattled the right hand post to bypass Hogarth and nestle into the net.

Jordan Allan then missed an opportunity in the 21st minute with a long range effort from outside the box which went wide, before his rebound was diverted after Liam Scullion’s shot was blocked from the centre of the box.

In the 36th minute, Brian Kinnear was called into action as Dumbarton were searching for an equaliser. The ‘keeper crouched low to deny Aaron Healy’s attempt from close range, before Gallagher Lennon blasted his effort wide from the edge of the box. 

The hosts spurned multiple opportunities to increase their advantage five minutes into the second half. Grant poked the ball into the path of Allan only for his effort to be blocked, before the forward snatched the ball from the halfway line to drive forward into the centre of the box, but Hogarth was on hand to deny him.

As the clock ticked past the hour, Lennon attempted to rifle an effort home from inside the box, but the ball was interpreted by a Clyde defender, while Finlay Gray’s shot was also denied. Whereas, at the other end, Allan worked his way deep into the box, but he was outsmarted by two opposition defenders who blocked him from being able to fire the ball goalwards.

In the 68th minute, the Bully Wee were awarded a penalty after Craig Howie was fouled by Lennon as he tried to attempt a volley with Rennie demonstrating composure to rifle his spot kick beyond Hogarth and into the bottom left corner.

With the match entering the final ten minutes, Alex King met Robbie Leitch’s free-kick to rocket a long-arching shot at goal, only for the ball to career wide, while Allan could only send his header over the bar as the home side continued to dominate.

Elsewhere, the visitors were continuing to be nullified in front of goal, Marc Kelly crossed into the box from the right hand side, but immediately lost possession to Lee Hamilton, while Ryan Blair’s effort flew wide.

In the third minute of stoppage time Allan was issued a red card in the third minute of injury time after receiving a second yellow in what was a slight blemish to an otherwise well-deserved three points for The Bully Wee.


Pictures by Craig Black