Stranraer 1-0 Clyde

The Bully Wee’s winless run at the start of the season was extended in the cruellest of fashions as an Olly McDonald goal deep into injury snatched all 3 points for the home side and denied Clyde what would have been a deserved point. 

Brian McLean made four changes to his side with Ross Lyon, Peter Grant, Darren Hynes and Ji Stevenson coming in for Jon Craig, Erik Sula, Stuart Carswell and Euan Cameron.

Clyde started on the front foot and a ball over the Stranraer back line put Conor Scullion in at the corner of the box but McDonald was off his line sharp to block his attempt.

The first clear cut chance of the match would fall to debutant Ji Stevenson who cut inside his man and forced a great save from McDonald.  The same two players would come face to face once more shortly after as this time McDonald kept out Stevenson’s header at the back post.  Despite being on top, Clyde were fortunate not to be punished as a short back pass was latched on to but Leighfield did brilliantly to recover the situation making a smart save at the edge of the area.  As the first half progressed Clyde continued to be the more positive team but struggled to create any other clear cut chances.  

It was the hosts that started the second half on the front foot but Clyde continued to deal with any threat coming our way and came within inches of taking the lead as a counter attack saw McCulloch swing a tantalising cross in to the box but Fraser Malcolm could not get enough on the ball to divert home.  Both sides had the ball in the net but neither seemed contentious decisions. 

Stranraer then called Leighfield in to action as the shop-stopper pulled off a great save to keep the score level and that’s how it looked it would finish until the last seconds of Injury time.  

A free kick from deep was kept alive by Stranraer and the ball fell perfectly for McDonald to knock home from close range to prevent Clyde from taking the point that was more reflective of how the match played out.