Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 2-1 Montrose

Clyde built further momentum ahead of the cinch League One playoffs with a last-gasp win over Montrose on the final day of the regular season.

Jim Duffy made four changes to the starting lineup with Joshua Bradley-Hurst, Conner Duthie, Steven Thicot and Euan Cameron replacing Ryan Mullen, Brian McLean, Kurtis Roberts and Rico Quitongo.

The first opportunity fell to Clyde in the eighth minute as Cameron Salkeld shrugged off opposition players to dart forward on goal, however, his meek effort was comfortably held by Lennox. It was an otherwise cagey start to the match with neither side creating much in the way of chances, but the hosts’ were appearing more threatening on the break.

Kyle Doherty spurned a chance of his own in the 18th minute after the ball landed at his feet on the far edge of the box, but it sailed over the bar. Meanwhile, as proceedings reached the half hour mark, the Gable Endies’ were beginning to make their presence known with advances up the park. Dillon caught onto a free-kick on the edge of the box only for his header to fly narrowly wide, while Machado’s effort hit the side netting.

The Bully Wee survived a scare in the 30th minute after slack defending enabled Lyons to drive forward and make a beeline for goal, however, Bradley-Hurst made a clinical intervention with his legs. Salkeld came close for the home side yet again in the 41st minute after he connected onto a long ball into the box, however, he was denied by the ‘keeper as both teams went into the break goalless.

There was little worth of note in the early stages of the second period as both teams continued to contest in a tight physical battle. Conner Duthie was next to try his luck for the hosts’ in the 51st minute, but his attempt from the edge of the box glided over the target. At the other end, Gardyne drilled the ball through the box, but failed to seriously test the ‘keeper as his effort went wide.

It was third time unlucky for Salkeld in the 58th minute after his curling shot was diverted by Lennox, who was also alert to recover the ball and prevent Euan Cameron from pouncing on the rebound. As proceedings entered the final 15 minutes, The Bully Wee were continuously frustrated as they attempted to bypass a stubborn defence with Duthie’s effort inside the box denied by Lennox.

The Bully Wee’s resilience paid off as they broke the deadlock with seven minutes of normal time remaining. Duthie drove forward and threaded the ball to the awaiting Olly McDonald, who sent a powerful strike past Lennox.

However, the hosts’ were unable to preserve their lead as Montrose equalised in the 87th minute after the Bully Wee failed to deal with a counter attack, which allowed Watson to latch onto McAllister’s pass and rocket the ball beyond Bradley-Hurst.

Despite, that Clyde would regain their lead in the first minute of injury time as McDonald snatched possession of the ball at the edge of the box after a flick on from Rennie, and unleashed an impressive strike into the net.

REACTION — Jim Duffy’s post match comments

MAN OF THE MATCH SPONSORED BY CALL ROBERT – If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a Forum account, you can vote for your Man of the Match in the Club Forum.


Picture by Craig Black