Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 0-1 Airdrieonians

It was another disappointing afternoon for Clyde as they fell to a narrow defeat against Airdrieonians at New Douglas Park.

Allan Moore named three initial changes to the team that faced Alloa Athletic with Erik Sula, Liam Scullion and Morgaro Gomis coming in for Ross Lyon, Paul Kennedy and Barry Cuddihy. Brian McLean also pulled out in the warm-up, with Steven Thicot being a late addition to the XI.

Both sides came close in a tightly contested opening 15 minutes. Kurtis Roberts connected onto a well-worked pass from Ross Cunningham in the fifth minute, but he struggled to get a strong grasp of the ball as his effort was blocked. At the other end, Jamieson found space to sprint forward into the box, however, Thicot was quick to intercept before he could test Neil Parry. Gallagher then attempted to hit a shot from close-range, which curled over the bar.

In the midst of intense pressure from the visitors who continued to throw bodies on the line, Gomis was able to snatch possession and foray forward, only for his effort to bristle the woodwork. Scullion was next to try his luck for the hosts, but he misjudged his high-flying shot which went wide.

The Bully Wee held their nerve after consecutive attacks in their box during the 25th minute with Telfer sending his effort over the post.

Neither team were able to create clear-cut chances for the remainder of the first period as they went into the break at a stalemate.

The second-half started with both Clyde and Airdrie having opportunities to open the scoring. Jamieson came out the traps with a low shot that rolled wide, while Peter Grant reacted aptly to prevent Smith beating Parry, who collected the ball with ease. For the home side, Cunningham slithered an effort through a tight angle, however, it was denied by Lyness.

The Diamonds came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock in the 65th minute as Devenny hit a powerful effort that deflected off the side netting. The visitors scuppered another chance shortly after as they failed to make contact onto Devenny’s pass which flew across the face of goal.

A penalty was awarded to the away side in the 77th minute, after Jamieson was brought down inside the box. Parry initially saved the forward’s spot-kick, however, he recovered swiftly to drill home the rebound.

As the match entered the final 10 minutes, Cunningham rocketed an effort which flew over the bar as Clyde desperately attempted to sneak an equaliser. However, the clock continued to tick down with Sula firing a last-gasp delivery straight at Lyness.  

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.