Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 2-0 Greenock Morton

Goals from Olly McDonald and Ross Cunningham either side of the break saw Clyde earn their first three points of the 2022-2023 season at New Douglas Park in a convincing 2-0 victory over Greenock Morton.

Danny Lennon made seven changes to the side that lost to Bonnyrigg Rose on Wednesday evening with Nathan Nyamsi Hendji making his competitive debut in the Clyde jersey. There were also first starts for Liam Scullion, Euan Cameron and Olly McDonald.

The first chance of the match fell to Morton in the third minute after Kabia’s header from a cross went over the bar, in what was a rather uneventful opening stage.

Jordan Allan managed to break into the box in the 17th minute and hit a shot at goal which was deflected wide. The visitors then had a chance of their own almost instantly going one-on-one with Neil Parry who reacted quickly to deny them.

The Bully Wee had a golden chance to open the scoring in the 20th minute after a foul in the box, however, Schwake guessed correctly to save Allan’s spot-kick. McDonald then found himself in position a couple minutes later as he ran towards goal but his effort was blocked by the ‘keeper.

Meanwhile, at the other end, the visitors were gifted a free-kick at the edge of the box which was comfortably collected by Parry.

Clyde were then bizzarely not awarded another penalty with the ball hitting the arm of a Morton player after a scramble in the box.

The Bully Wee broke the deadlock in the 37th minute after McDonald collected a pass from Allan to strike a powerful ball which beat Schwake at the near post.

There was nothing of note in the remaining minutes of the first-half with Clyde taking a slender lead into the interval.

Clyde had the first chance after the re-start in the 54th minute with Allan picking out space to hit a low shot which Schwake saved with ease.

There was little in the way of clear-cut chances when the match reached the hour mark with the ball being thrashed around the park as both teams struggled to break down the opposition defences.

Muirhead had an opportunity in the 71st minute for the Ton as he struck a header from close-range which sailed over the bar. A few minutes later, McDonald’s effort for Clyde flew off the target. Cunningham was next to test Schwake as after picking out Lyon’s cross he drove forward and hit the ball high which was saved by the ‘keeper.

Blues found space inside the box for the visitors as the game entered the final 10 minutes but his powerful shot went over the bar.

Clyde doubled their advantage in the 83rd minute after being awarded a second penalty when Conner Duthie was brought down in the box and Cunningham made no mistake with his spot-kick rippling the roof of the net.

The Bully Wee then pushed for a third as the clock ticked down into the final minutes with Schwake diving low to block Duthie’s effort from outside the box.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.