Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Montrose 2-2 Clyde

A double by Lewis Jamieson earned Clyde a hard-fought point at Montrose in League 1 today.

Danny Lennon made six changes to the starting line-up following Tuesday night’s win at Keith, with Marky Munro, Martin McNiff, Tom Lang, Jack Thomson, Michael McGlinchey and Jamieson all coming in.

The hosts had some early pressure but it was David Goodwillie who had the first real opportunity of the game, when he his drive from outside the box went just past the post.

Michael McGlinchey then went even closer after his left footed shot clipped the inside of the post then bounced out, and Kevin Nicoll was unable to convert the rebound. 

Montrose took the lead in the 31st minute from the penalty spot after Cammy Ballantyne glided past a few defenders and was tripped by Nicoll just inside the box. Graham Webster made no mistake with an emphatic penalty.

The Bully Wee were back on level terms a minute later. Lewis Jamieson charged down a clearance from goalkeeper Aaron Lennox, and the ball bounced off him and went into the net.

Jamieson put Clyde in the lead shortly after, when he cut inside and hit a shot on target which Lennox got a hand to. The ball then trickled towards the goal line and a Montrose defender scrambled back and attempted to clear it, but the assistant referee ruled it had already crossed the line.

The Gable Endies made it all-square just before the interval when a corner was only cleared as far as the edge of the box, where Webster was lurking. He rifled a volley through a sea of players and beyond David Mitchell. 

Clyde created another opportunity before the half-time whistle when Jamieson’s cross into the box was met by Goodwillie, but he dragged his volley wide of target.

Jamieson had a chance to claim his hat-trick early into the second half when he got in behind the Montrose defence but Lennox made a good block with his body. 

Montrose’s best effort of the second 45 came through Chris Mochrie but his fierce drive from outside the box was held by Mitchell. 

As time wore on the game became end-to-end with both sides carving out opportunities. Martin McNiff made a couple of vital blocks, and Clyde could have snatched all three points late on when Goodwillie drove into the box, but he seemed to be caught in two minds whether to pass or shoot and the chance was snuffed out.

If you watched today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.