Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Clyde 1-1 Berwick Rangers (6-5 pens)

The Bully Wee had to settle for two points in today’s Betfred Cup match at Broadwood, following a draw after 90 minutes and a victory in the subsequent penalty shoot-out.

Barry Ferguson made three changes to the team following Tuesday night’s match at Morton, with Michael Oliver, Dylan Easton and David Gormley coming in for David Marsh, Matt Flynn and Sean Higgins.

Ewan McNeil had a good early chance to put Clyde ahead, but his shot from inside the box just missed the target.

Gormley also could have scored in the first half, but his header was blocked and he could only find the side netting at the second attempt.

At the other end, Jordyn Sheerin’s attempted lob was comfortably held by John Gibson.

Shortly after the break, the deadlock was broken thanks to a fine team goal. Easton and Gormley combined to free Peter MacDonald (pictured, right) in the box and the striker finished well for his first competitive goal for the club.

Minutes later, it was nearly a second goal for MacDonald after a defensive mix-up, but his volley from Gormley’s cross smashed against the bar and went over.

The visitors were somewhat lucky not to be reduced to ten men when Robert Wilson only saw a yellow card for a reckless tackle on Scott Linton and a few minutes later some slack play by Clyde gave Sheerin a chance to equalise and he took full advantage.

As The Bully Wee gradually began to dominate again, Gormley forced Sean Brennan into a fine save and, with time running out, Martin McNiff’s header looked to be going in, but MacDonald tried to make sure the ball found the net from an offside position and the goal was disallowed.

A 1-1 draw at full-time meant that, as per the new competition format, a penalty shoot-out took place to determine which team would collect an additional point. Successful penalties by McLaughlin, MacDonald, Gormley, Easton, Linton and Lowdon and a save by Gibson from Berwick’s sixth spot kick earned Clyde a 6-5 win.

In today’s other match in Group H, Greenock Morton beat Kilmarnock 2-0 at Rugby Park.

Greenock Morton  3  2  1  0  1  3  8
Albion Rovers  2  0  2  0  1  0  3
Kilmarnock  2  1  0  1  0  -1  3
Berwick Rangers  2  0  2  0  0  0  2
CLYDE  3  0  1  2  1  -2  2

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.

HALF-TIME DRAW WINNING NUMBERS: 1st 0632 (cash prize), 2nd 1865 (£25 voucher), 3rd 0607 (match voucher)