Homesbook Factoring Caplan

Clyde 0-1 Queen’s Park

Today’s Glasgow derby and opening match of 2016 ended in disappointment as Queen’s Park successfully frustrated The Bully Wee and left Broadwood with a Ladbrokes League 2 victory.

Barry Ferguson named an unchanged starting line-up following last week’s win at Annan Athletic.

Clyde looked the more dangerous side in the opening minutes and came close when Mark McLaughlin met Scott McLaughlin’s corner, but the defender couldn’t keep his header down.

Jamie McKernon missed the target with a long range effort for the visitors, but Gus MacPherson’s men took the lead when Gavin Mitchell got on the end of Sean Burns cross and managed to squeeze the ball in.

As The Spiders looked to defend the lead in numbers, Clyde struggled to create any clear cut chances but Scott Linton’s header hit the side netting before the break.

The second half continued in a similar pattern, with Queen’s running down the clock when possible and defending well from deep as a unit.

McKernon came close to converting a counter attack but, at the other end, David Marsh was offered probably The Bully Wee’s best chance to equalise when Spiders goalkeeper Willie Muir spilled the ball at the edge of the box, but his attempted chip shot went over the bar.

As the match entered the final ten minutes, substitute Archie Campbell forced Muir into a low save and Scott McLaughlin couldn’t get to the rebound in time to get a clear shot on goal.

Ryan Hines should have sealed the win for Queen’s Park following a break on the left wing, but his shot was skewed wide.

In injury time, Scott Ferguson wasn’t able to hit the target with a difficult chance inside the box and it was the last kick of the match as the referee blew for full-time. 

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.

HALF-TIME DRAW WINNING NUMBERS: 1st 1599 (cash prize), 2nd 2997 (£25 voucher), 3rd 1572 (match voucher)