Homesbook Factoring Caplan

Queen’s Park 1-1 Clyde

The Bully Wee were denied a victory at Hampden Park today, as a controversial late penalty award deep into injury time allowed Queen’s Park to secure a point.

Barry Ferguson made several changes to the Clyde starting line-up, with new signings Hugh Murray, Steven McDougall and Ross Fisher all added. Iain Gray also returned to partner Fisher in defence, but Scott Ferguson was forced out of the squad after taking ill during the warm-up.

The first half of the match was largely dominated by the hosts, but they failed to get on the scoresheet before half-time. Paul Woods had the ball in the net but was ruled offside, before the same player forced Alan Martin into a tremendous save to keep out his curling effort from the edge of the box.

The closest Clyde came to scoring before the interval was via the head of Fisher, but his effort was comfortably held by home ‘keeper Willie Muir.

The Bully Wee started the second half well and almost took the lead when Scott McManus’ (pictured) determined run led to David Gray’s shot being blocked from close range. However, from the resulting corner, Ged Traynor’s delivery was met by Iain Gray who turned the ball into the net to open the scoring.

A loud penalty claim from the home side was then turned down as Ciaran McElroy went down in the box, but Fisher had just managed to stretch and make contact with the ball.

At the other end, a quick Clyde move down the left flank led to Brian McQueen getting on the end of a low cross, but Muir pulled off a fine save to prevent what looked like a certain goal.

With time running out, The Spiders put a lot of pressure on Alan Martin’s goal, particularly from cross balls, but were finding it difficult to break down a determined and organised Clyde defence.

There was to be a cruel blow for The Bully Wee though as, deep into an elongated injury time period, a corner was punched clear by Martin, only for referee Kevin Graham to award a penalty for an apparent foul by Traynor on the advanced Queen’s Park ‘keeper Muir. Darren Miller stepped up and converted from the spot to confirm a final score of 1-1.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.