Turriff United 0-3 Clyde

The Bully Wee progressed to the third round of the William Hill Scottish Cup today, thanks to a solid performance in Aberdeenshire.

Following last week’s match against Annan, Barry Ferguson added Ryan Frances, David Gray and Kevin Watt to the starting line-up.

From early in the tie, Clyde took control of the play and went on to create numerous opportunities throughout the first half.

Euan Smith (pictured) had a strong claim for a penalty turned away by the referee, before Scott Durie’s long range shot flew just wide of the post. Kevin Watt then failed to make contact with Aidan McIlduff’s cross, before Turriff survived again when an own goal was narrowly avoided as the ball came off the underside of the bar.

As the chances continued to arrive, Smith couldn’t convert at the back post before Craig Halkett’s header went just over the frame of the goal.

Halkett was then forced to leave the field on a stretcher after going in for a tackle and was later sent to hospital for further tests on the injury. Brian McQueen replaced him.

Just before half-time, the deadlock was finally broken when Smith’s knock down found Watt and he managed to beat home ‘keeper Kevin Main from close range.

Early in the second half, Scott McManus missed a good chance to double Clyde’s lead when David Gray’s free-kick was pushed away by Main, but his first time attempt at the rebound crept wide.

Turriff’s best chance to equalise came when Jamie Beagrie got his head on the ball at the back post, but he couldn’t find the target.

However, McManus soon made amends for his earlier miss with a fine finish from a difficult angle, after good set up work by Durie and Smith.

There was only one more real chance for Turra to score when substitute Nicholas Gray found space in the box but he couldn’t get the ball down quickly enough, or get his effort on target, as Alan Martin closed him down.

With time running out, Scott Ferguson added a brilliant third goal, finding the roof of the net after a lovely move involving himself, Andy Gibson and McManus.

The draw for the third round will take place on Monday at 2pm.

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, don’t forget to vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.