Homesbook Factoring Caplan

Elgin City 3-1 Clyde

The Bully Wee slipped to fourth place in League Two today, following a defeat to Elgin City at Borough Briggs.

Michael Daly returned to the starting line-up in place of Stuart McColm, in an otherwise unchanged team from last week’s defeat to Queen’s Park.

It was Daly who produced Clyde’s best moment of the early exchanges, when his header narrowly missed the target. However, poor defending allowed the home side to take the lead before half-time, with Craig Gunn applying the finish under little pressure.

Just after the break, it got worse for The Bully Wee as Shane Sutherland capitalised on more slack defending to double Elgin’s advantage. Sutherland effectively finished the match moments later when he registered a third goal, however there was a large slice of luck involved as his shot took a big deflection to beat Joe McGovern.

Following good work by Iain Gray, Scott Ferguson pulled a goal back for Clyde but it was too little too late and the points stayed in the Highlands.

When speaking after the match, Jim Duffy acknowledged that the best team had won:-

“I don’t think we deserved to win, Elgin did. We made it too easy for them in terms of opportunities to score. The first two goals were pretty straightforward, from Elgin’s point of view they will say it was good passing but there was a chasm to go through both times – and a free shot at goal.

“Defensively from our point of view it was very poor and we had been defending well this season. The last goal was a deflection and I don’t even think it was on target to be honest, so we were a bit unfortunate there.

“It took about five minutes after that for the players to clear their heads, but we showed a bit of spirit and scored a goal. We at least showed a bit of commitment and attitude and that’s all we can really take from the game today.”

If you were at today’s match and are a CIC owner with a website account, don’t forget to vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.