Clyde 1-1 Montrose

Two late goals ensured that both sides left Broadwood with a point this evening, but it was a frustating game of football for the Bully Wee who ended up with ten men.

Aleks Gramovics and Willie Sawyers were added to the starting line-up and there were places on the bench for the returning pair of Alan Lithgow and Charlie Miller.

After a slow start to the match, Clyde had two fantastic chances to take the lead as they gradually took control. The first fell to Sawyers from a Jamie McCluskey header, but the big forward couldn’t connect with the ball properly from six yards and away ‘keeper Ramero Gonzalez gratefully grabbed it. The same two players were involved minutes later; Sawyers chose to set up McCluskey instead of taking a shot and the winger also passed up on the chance, taking an extra touch and seeing his eventual effort blocked.

Two pieces of bad luck were to follow as the Bully Wee twice hit the woodwork. McCluskey saw his free-kick come back out off the bar and Gramovics rattled the post with a rasping shot from 20 yards.

Montrose’s best effort of the opening period came from the boot of Daryl Nicol, who shot over from just inside the box, but the visitors were relieved to reach the half-time interval on level terms.

The second half was less entertaining as the goalmouth action became less frequent, with the Bully Wee’s task becoming harder just before the hour mark. Gavin Brown reacted angrily to a bad challenge by Jonathan Crawford and was shown a red card, with the Montrose midfielder lucky to only be shown a yellow by David Somers.

It didn’t, however, have too big an effect on the pattern of play and it seemed as though Jim Duffy’s side had snatched a victory with only five minutes left on the clock. Marc McCusker produced some great play to drive into the box and he was brought down, earning a penalty. His effort from the spot was pushed away by Gonzalez but Pat Scullion was quickest to react and finished well from the rebound.

The Gable Endies weren’t finished though and almost immediately grabbed an equaliser. A fine delivery from the right wing beat the Clyde defence and Conor Thomson slid in to find the bottom corner of the net.

If you were at tonight’s match and are a website member, don’t forget to vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.