Alloa Athletic 2-2 Clyde

It was a painful day for Clyde in Clackmannanshire today as a late, late goal denied them a win that a vastly improved performance probably deserved.

Paddy Boyle came into the Bully Wee side and various other changes in personnel and positions were made, with Alan Lithgow missing out due to injury.

Clyde had the better of the opening exchanges, with a new midfield combination of Ally Park and Aleksandrs Gramovics working well. John Stewart had a decent chance to open the scoring but fluffed his shot from the edge of the box.

Against the run of play, the home side scored. A Clyde corner came to nothing and the Wasps broke up the park, eventually leading the Scott blasting the ball into the net from close range.

Clyde’s response was positive though and only a few minutes later Jordan White levelled the score. Kris Doolan released Adam Strachan, who dinked a cross to the far post for White to nod in. Seconds later, Doolan had a chance to score himself but his header from six yards went straight to the ‘keeper.

The Bully Wee’s good form continued after the break and Stewart made it 1-2 with a tremendous goal. The striker lashed a 20-yard shot into the roof of the net after good build up-play involving White and Willie McLachlan.

The league leaders then started to pile pressure on Callum Reidford’s goal, hitting both the post and the bar and forcing Reidford into a fine save. It was Clyde’s turn for a breakaway though and Strachan’s pace and vision set up White, who was brought down for a clear penalty. Stewart stepped up and blazed the spot kick over the bar, but the assistant referee saw and infringement and called for a re-take. Stewart grabbed the ball again but unfortunately his second attempt was saved.

The relentless action continued in injury time. Reidford produced an incredible save from close range and, at the other end, sub Willie Sawyers found himself through on the ‘keeper but couldn’t quite bundle the ball home.

That was to prove costly as, with virtually the last kick of the game, David McClune blasted a wonder volley into the top corner of the net after a free-kick was cleared out the box.

If you were at today’s match and are a website member, don’t forget to vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.