Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

Rutherglen Glencairn v Clyde


Friendly 2008-09

New Southcroft Park

Rutherglen Glencairn
1 - 1
Final Score


Clyde suffered a blip in their pre-season preparations after a sloppy performance required a late Pat Clarke header to stop junior side Rutherglen Glencairn from recording a famous victory.

The match, organised to commemorate the opening of Glencairn’s new stadium, saw Clyde field a weak line-up, with youngsters Roddy McLennan, Stephen Connolly, Jordan Murch and David McGowan playing alongside more experienced faces like Chris Higgins and Neil McGregor. For those who didn’t travel to Norfolk, it was a chance to see some new signings but only Mark Brown started, with Stuart Kettlewell and Alan Trouten on the bench. The likes of Gary McSwegan, Willie McLaren and David MacKay missed out entirely.

The full-time side started strongly and Clarke had the first opportunity of the game, only to see Brian Brown produced the first of several excellent saves from his powerful drive. McGowan then saw his cross cleared for a corner from which McGregor saw a header fly past the post. Stephen Connolly was next to test the home ‘keeper as he danced through the middle of the home defence, only to blast his shot against the overworked stopper.

As play progressed and Clyde started to become frustrated at their lack of a cutting edge and the home side fired a warning shot across the bows by forcing David Hutton to produce an outstanding close range stop from Martin Gallagher, albeit, the referee had already blown for offside. Then, the chance to make history for the Glens’ captain Tony Fraser, as his side were awarded a penalty. Rutherglen broke clear from a Clyde corner but Ruari McLennan did well to block a powerful drive by Craig. However, as he tried to get onto the loose ball, he only succeeded in chopping down Stephen O’Keane and a spot kick was the correct decision. Despite the pressure, Fraser made no mistake with the penalty and the first goal at the new stadium was greeted by the home support.

Both sides traded chances towards the end of the half, with Chris Higgins missing a close range header and Murch firing well over the bar when well placed for Clyde. For Glencairn, a neat move ended with Fraser being released on the left but Hutton made a good stop from his effort on goal. Half-time arrived and Glencairn, perhaps anticipating a second half onslaught, made four substitutions. Clyde made one change, with Peter Cherrie taking over in goals. The regular substitute ‘keeper for the Bully Wee was to see very little of the action with the exception of one cross that he nearly dropped over his own line.

Clyde strugged to create many chances despite their superior fitness and it was no surprise that after a drab opening 15 minutes to the half, John Brown chose to remove Murch, Connolly and McGowan, with Billy Gibson entering the game, along with new signings Trouten and Kettlewell. The latter’s desire to get involved was apparent early on and a neat through ball almost released Roddy McLennan through on goal. McLennan was then replaced by Sean Connolly. Despite the increased level of work rate though, a cutting edge continued to elude the SFL side and this was emphasised as Clarke fired high over the bar from 10 yards following a good move by Kettlewell and Gibson.

Trouten arrives at Clyde with a reputation of providing some excellent wing play and Clyde should have levelled after his fizzed cross into the box sped past the centre defenders. Gibson did well to get his head to the ball however, Brown produced a stunning close range stop to keep his side in front. Then, from a similar incident, Clyde finally equalised. McGregor played a good pass out to Trouten who took on the Glens’ right back, before crossing left-footed for Clarke to flick home a header.

Clyde were finishing strongly and the small winger then flicked a neat lob onto the cross bar. Clarke then slipped Connolly through, only for the youngster to fire high over the bar with only the ‘keeper to beat. In truth, the home side didn’t deserve to lose the game and they will rightly take any plaudits on offer from the watching public. As for Clyde, the absence of so many first team regulars gave the chance to several youngsters to stake a claim for a place in the side, however, only really Marvyn Wilson and the substitutes impressed.


Rutherglen Glencairn   Clyde
(pen) Fraser 22'
85' Clarke


Rutherglen Glencairn   Clyde
  Stephen Connolly
  Ruari MacLennan
  Roddy MacLennan
  Sean Connolly


Date Time League Season Full Time Attendance Report Author
July 19, 2008 3:00 pm Friendly 2008-09 90' 600 David Worton


  • Referee
    Andy Tait

Past Meetings