Homesbook Factoring McGouldrick's Pool and Sports Bar

King’s Lynn v Clyde


Friendly 2008-09

The Walks

King’s Lynn
1 - 2
Final Score


Clyde’s final match of the Norfolk tour looked set to be the toughest – certainly of the two public encounters – and so it proved.

The first chance of the match fell to Pat Clarke, when he found space at the edge of the box and saw his shot deflected just wide of former Clyde ‘keeper Scott Howie’s post. As Clyde continued to press forward, a Chris Higgins header from a corner went well over the bar.

After 27 minutes, another corner was met by Stuart Kettlewell and his looping header sailed over Howie and into the top corner. However, almost straight from the kick-off, King’s Lynn were awarded a penalty after a foul by Dave McKay. The home side failed to take the chance to equalise though, with the spot kick coming back off the post.

The Bully Wee’s best move of the match nearly brought a second goal, when the German trialist and Clarke combined to set up McSwegan but his drive was well blocked. Clyde were well on top now and playing some good football and Ruari MacLennan did well to set himself up but couldn’t convert.

The Linnets did create a chance before half-time though, when the ball broke to Julian Joachim but his shot went straight to David Hutton.

Half-time seemed to benefit King’s Lynn more and four minutes after the restart they scored via a shot from six yards into the roof of the net. The hosts’ best spell of the match then followed and the period of the match was also fragmented by numerous substitutions being made by both sides, including the removal of Howie who was given warm applause by both sets of fans.

Kettlewell and a King’s Lynn man were both booked on the hour after a heated exchange following a fight for the ball that may well have resulted in a more severe punishment had the match been competitive.

The home side were unlucky not to score again when, after a great move, they saw a shot rattle the post.

This seemed to spark Clyde into life and Kettlewell’s shot sailed wide after Alan Trouten’s attempt to score had been staved off. Soon after the second penalty of the match was awarded, this time to The Bully Wee but Dave McKay’s shot was saved to keep the scores level.

Stephen Connolly’s shot went narrowly over before Clyde got a welcome winner on 87 minutes. McKay made amends when he received the ball on the left wing, made his way into the box and finished.

There was time for one more chance before the final whistle when a lovely ball over the top by Trouten put the busy McKay in but his effort came back off the bar.

CLYDE (3-5-2): Hutton, Gibson, Higgins, Ohnesorge, Murch (McGregor 81), Kettlewell, McKay, Ruari MacLennan, Clarke (Stephen Connolly 69), McSwegan (McLaren 57), McGowan (Trouten 64). SUBS NOT USED: Cherrie, Roddy MacLennan, Brown, Sean Connolly, McCole.

BOOKING: Kettlewell

GOALS: Kettlewell (27), McKay (87)

KING’S LYNN: Weaver, Crane, Horlock (Camm 60), Turner (Fisk 64), Sedgemore (Bridgwater 54), Defty J, Joachim (Bloomfield 51), Francis (Melton 53).

BOOKING: Chapman

GOAL: Crane (49)


Date Time League Season Full Time Attendance Report Author
July 15, 2008 7:45 pm Friendly 2008-09 90' 480 Graham Forrest


  • Referee
    S Ross

Past Meetings