Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Falkirk 0-1 Clyde

Sat, 26th Oct 2019 8:38pm

A late stunning strike from Darren Smith handed The Bully Wee a deserved three points at The Falkirk Stadium this afternoon.

Danny Lennon went with the team that finished last weekend's entertaining draw with Raith Rovers, meaning Ally Love, Chris Johnston and Mark Lamont came into the starting line-up.

The hosts had the first chance when Connor Sammon found himself through on goal, but he took a heavy first touch and David Mitchell was able to gather.

Only an excellent save from Cammy Bell then denied Clyde from taking the lead. Ally Love saw his effort from inside the box blocked by Michael Doyle and the rebound fell to David Goodwillie, who looked certain to score from close range. Bell however was able to get a hand to his shot to sent it wide.

The Bully Wee had the better of the first half and another good chance went begging just before the interval. Chris Johnston whipped a cross into the box but Barry Cuddihy was unable to head home from a good position.

The Bairns did have the ball in the net on the hour marked when Sammon prodded home a Gregor Buchanan knock down inches from the goal, but the striker had strayed offside.

Clyde then suffered the same fate as Martin McNiff powered a header past Bell and into the back of the net from a Mark Lamont free-kick, with the assistant referee raising his flag for offside.

Mitchell then made a superb save from a long-range drive from Doyle, and Declan McManus blazed a chance wide from six yards out.

The winning goal came in sublime style with nine minutes remaining. Chris Johnston played a pass to Darren Smith, who had only been on the field a matter of moments after coming off the bench. The forward controlled the ball on his chest and then hit it on the half-volley from 20 yards out, dipping over the reach of Bell and crashing into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

Falkirk's chances of rescuing something from the game were made even more difficult when Morgaro Gomis was given a second yellow card and then a red for wiping out Chris McStay.

The Bairns had one last opportunity in stoppage time when the ball fell to Buchanan in the middle of the box, but he fired his effort well over the bar, as Clyde hung on to claim the victory.

If you were at today's match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.

Pictures by Craig Black