Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 2-2 Raith Rovers

Sat, 19th Oct 2019 6:46pm

It was a game of two halves at Broadwood this afternoon, with The Bully Wee rallying in the second forty-five to come from two goals down and claim a point against Ladbrokes League 1 leaders Raith Rovers.

Danny Lennon made one change to the side that won at Arbroath last week, with Alex Petkov returning from international duty with the Bulgaria under-21 side to replace Chris Johnston.

Both goalkeepers were tested early on, with David Mitchell holding a shot from Regan Hendry, and then launching a quick counter-attack which saw David McGurn parry a David Goodwillie effort at the other end.

Raith took the lead with 11 minutes played after a shot from outside the box from Kieron Bowie took a deflection off a Clyde defender, and looped over the head of Mitchell and into the back of the net.

The advantage was doubled just before the half-hour mark when Jamie Gullan was given plenty of time and room on the edge of the area to fire an effort past Mitchell.

The Rovers should have added more goals before the interval with John Baird passing up a good opportunity with the goal at his mercy.

Clyde were not at the races in the first half and Danny Lennon wasted no time in making changes, bring on Mark Lamont after 38 minutes and also introducing Ally Love and Chris Johnston at the break.

The Bully Wee looked like a different team after half-time and pulled a goal back within ten minutes of the restart. Love's cross into the box was knocked down by Craig Howie to Goodwillie, who was able to create some space and rifled the ball into the net.

Goodwillie almost had another moments later but McGurn made a fantastic save from the Clyde captain's header.

It was all square midway through the half when Lamont threaded a ball through the Rovers backline to Goodwillie, who shrugged off pressure to poke the ball past McGurn.

Raith were then reduced to ten men after Steven Anderson picked up a second yellow card for cynically tripping Goodwillie on the edge of the area. The striker blasted the subsequent free-kick towards target but McGurn pulled off another fine stop.

Rovers tried to hit back and Baird found himself one-on-one with Mitchell, but the Clyde 'keeper made a good block. Baird then had the ball in the net moments later but was flagged offside.

Both sides had chances to win it in the closing minutes through Bowie and Barry Cuddihy, but they were unable to find the target.

If you were at today's match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.


Pictures by Craig Black