Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Peterhead 1-1 Clyde

Sat, 21st Sep 2019 6:21pm

The Bully Wee earned a point in Peterhead this afternoon despite playing over an hour with ten men, after David Goodwillie scored and was sent off in the opening 30 minutes.

Danny Lennon named an unchanged side from last Saturday's win over Stranraer.

Peterhead immediately started the game on the front foot and almost opened the scoring within the first couple of minutes. The Blue Toon stormed into the box and after a defensive mix up looked like they would put the ball into the net, but Ray Grant managed to get back to clear the ball away for a corner.

The game didn’t remain goalless for long though, as the hosts managed to get an early opening goal. Derek Lyle was found free in the box from a cross and the veteran striker managed to place his header past David Mitchell and into the corner of the net with five minutes on the clock.

Clyde recovered well from going behind and nearly equalised a few minutes later, as Chris Johnston sent a dangerous corner into the box and found Chris McStay free at the back post, but the midfielder couldn’t direct his volley on target.

The equaliser soon came though, as Mark Lamont played a great through ball into the box for David Goodwillie and the striker made no mistake, rocketing the ball high into the net for his ninth league goal of the season and to level the score.

Goodwillie then found himself heading back to the changing room early, as he was surprisingly shown a straight red card for a collision following a clearance by Peterhead's David Ferguson and Clyde had to play the rest of the game with ten men.

Despite being a man down, The Bully Wee created a great chance to take the lead just before half-time. Ally Love sent in a free-kick to Martin McNiff who had a free header at the back post, but he could only head the ball wide of the goal.

Clyde had another chance early in the second half as Ally Love managed to get a shot away from a tight angle inside the box, but Greg Fleming did well to parry the ball away for a corner, which was eventually cleared by the Peterhead defence.

Peterhead saw more of the ball for the rest of the match, but failed to create any clear chances as good Clyde defending restricted the home side to long range efforts from outside the box that didn’t really test Mitchell in the Clyde goal.

If you were at today's match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.

Pictures by Duncan Brown