Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 3-3 Berwick Rangers

Sat, 1st Dec 2018 6:29pm

The Bully Wee came from three goals down at half-time to take a point against Berwick Rangers in a thoroughly entertaining consent at Broadwood this afternoon.

Danny Lennon picked the same side that took all three points at Elgin a fortnight ago.

Clyde looked lively in the opening periods and came close early on through Kris Syvertsen, but his header from a John Rankin corner whilstled narrowly past the post. 

A trickling shot from Rankin then hit the post moments later, and Berwick 'keeper Sean Brennan was called into action, tipping a curling effort from David Goodwillie to safety.

The visitors took the lead after 18 minutes when a free-kick into the box was flicked on, and a trialist was able to slot home from a few yards out.

The Bully Wee tried to hit back but the woodwork would deny them again, firstly blocking a powerful volley from Syvertsen, and then Dylan Cogill saw has header cannon off the other post.

They were made to pay for the missed chances as Berwick soon doubled their advantage. Clyde were caught napping at a quick free-kick, and Ross Brown sent in a cross from the by-line which the trialist headed home from close range.

The Wee Gers almost made it three when Aaron Murrell rattled the crossbar, but did find a third goal in first-half stoppage time, after Paul Willis caught Blair Currie flatfooted, scoring direct from a free-kick at a wide angle.

The Bully Wee came out fired up at the start of the second half and Chris McStay clipped the bar, before passing up a golden opportunity moments later, firing a shot across the face of goal when he looked certain to score.

Jack Boyle was also presented with a good chance, but was unable to keep his effort down.

Clyde gave themselves a lifeline after Goodwillie was played in behind the Berwick defence, and kept his compusure to slot past Brennan.

The Bully Wee pulled another goal back in the 64th minute when Cogill got on the end of Mark Lamont's deep free-kick into the box, and slid in to score his 2nd goal of the season.

It was all equal five minutes later, after an excellent team move. Barry Cuddihy drove forward from right-back and played a one-two with Jack Boyle, before feeding the ball to Lamont, who played provider again and set up Rankin. The veteran midfielder made no mistake with his finish, as he levelled the scores.

Clyde were dominating the game and passed up several more chances, including a long-range strike from Rankin which Brennan turned behind.

The visitors came close again at a corner, with Scott Rumsby bravely blocking a goalbound shot with his stomach, before the rebound hit the post.

Danny Lennon continued to commit men forward to find a winner despite losing both starting centre-backs McNiff and Cogill to injury, and was almost made to pay with a Berwick counter attack, but Currie redeemed himself and made a good save from Murrell.

The action was now end-to-end and Clyde incredibly struck the woodwork for a fifth time after Ray Grant drove forward and unleashed a low shot, then at the other end the visitors were denied again when Jordan Orru's cross hit the junction of the post and bar.

As the game entered stoppage time Goodwillie and Rankin both hit powerful shots inside the box which Berwick defenders threw their bodies at to block, as both sides had to settle for a point.

If you were at today's match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.


Pictures by Craig Black