Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde Safc Progress To Round 3

By Brian McLeavy
Wed, 20th Nov 2002 12:00am

CUMNOCK 2 v 6 CLYDE - Clyde's poor history in the Grouse Cup tournament, coupled with their poor showing against Clydebank in their last game, had given Clyde manager Brian McLeavy cause for concern.

Once again Clyde went into this game minus several players however, the return of Graeme Hall to the team was welcome and his link up play with "find of the season" Marko was to prove an added bonus. The game started in the usual "100 miles an hour fashion" with the home team in command however, some inspired goalkeeping from Andy Peters kept Sun Inn at bay. With half an hour gone and against the run of play, big Willie McKenzie opened the scoring with a long range drive from just outside the box. This goal gave the Clyde players the confidence to start playing some good football, especially in the midfield however, the Sun Inn leveled the scoring 10 minutes before the break from a clearly offside position.

Half-time 1-1

Clyde began the second half confidently and took the lead through Stevie Hunter to make it 2-1. It looked as though it would stay this way until a "cavalry charge" by practically all of the Clyde team with barley 10 minutes remaining broke down just outside the Sun Inn box and, not surprisingly, they ran up the park to equalise. Clyde then brought on Mallinson and Gracey for the tiring McIlear and Harrison to freshen things up.

Full-time 2-2

Into extra-time, and undeterred Clyde once again took command and after some fine wing play by Gracey who crossed it for Mallinson to make it 3-2. Unfortunately big Graeme had to come off after his goal to be replaced by Manager McLeavy which allowed Hunter to push up front. This move soon paid dividends when a few minutes later after some more dazzeling wing play from Gracey and a brilliant "wee dummy" from McKay allowed the ball to run through to Marko who slotted the ball home to make it 4-2. Stevie Hunter then bagged his second to make it 5-2.

Half-time ET 2-5

The second period of extra time was a one sided affair with Clyde having several good chances to increase the scoring but poor finishing kept the score at 5-2 until a few minutes from the end when Marko got his second abd Clydes sixth to make it 6-2.

Final result 2-6

TEAM: Peters, Law, Ritchie, McKenzie, McCone, Marcus, McKay, Hall, Hunter, McIlear, Harrison. SUBS: Gracey, Mallinson and McLeavy.

MANAGER'S COMMENTS: "It made an old man very happy."

MAN OF THE MATCH AWARDS: Andy Peters 3, All the other players 2.

You can visit Clyde Supporters AFC's website here.