Clyde FC Official Website
NL Leisure Advance Construction Scotland

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 2 Peterhead

Match Type: Scottish League Two
Venue: Recreation Park
Date: Saturday, 18th August 2012
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 401
Referee: D Robertson

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Peterhead
Barclay Jarvie
Kane Smith
(64) Sharp Noble
Yellow Card Gray Ross
Marsh McDonald
(67) Trialist (Masterton) Cowie (85)
Neill Strachan
Sweeney Redman
McCluskey McAllister (74)
(80) Gilfillan Winters (63)
McColm McLaughlin
(67) Watt Bavidge (63)
Rajovic McCallum
(80) MacBeth Deasley (85)
Hay Maguire (74)
(64) Brown McBain

Hide Match Report

by Graham Mann

The heroics that saw Clyde recover from a two goal deficit against Montrose last weekend will live long in the memory for The Bully Wee supporters who witnessed the Links Park comeback.

But you can bet your last dime it's not the sort of challenge Clyde would want to face on a regular basis. Yet that was exactly the task facing Jim Duffy's men when they emerged for the second half of this league encounter with Peterhead at Recreation Park.

The visitors made a positive impression in the opening minutes and there were strong claims for a penalty when keeper Jamie Barclay struggled to clear a Peterhead corner, prompting a frantic defensive scramble to prevent an early opening goal. The aftermath saw referee Don Robertson reprimand Jim McInally for his vocal contribution from the touchline, much to the delight of the Clyde fans who were not slow to rib the Blue Toon boss about his team's recent encounter with third division new boys Rangers.

But Clyde soon started to make better of it and there was good reason to believe they could take something from the match. Stefan McCluskey won warm applause as he loped across midfield leaving two Peterhead players in his wake before nursing the ball wide to John Kane whose deep cross was headed to safety.

A neat interchange involving trialist Steven Masterton and new signing Bryan Gillfillan brought McCluskey into action again and the frontman joined in the move with a clever flick that gave Gillfillan a clear run towards the 18 yard line that didn't produce a shooting opportunity.

The game's first real shot at goal came at the other end but Barclay had no trouble dealing with a Jamie Redman strike from the edge of the box that lacked pace and precision.

That was not the case on 20 minutes when the Blue Toon took the lead. Veteran front man Robbie Winters took advantage of indecision at the heart of Clyde's defence and rolled back the years with a top class lob from 20 yards that made Barclay's presence irrelevant.

Clyde almost drew level when a John Neil corner drew David Marsh and Stuart McColm towards the six yard box but as the ball was bundled towards goal, a well-postioned Peterhead defender cleared for another corner that failed to bear fruit.

The same absence of good fortune was in evidence moments later when the visitors were awarded what can only be described as soft penalty kick. Winters played the ball into Redman whose quick change of direction wrong-footed Kane who looked on helplessly as the Peterhead man tumbled over his challenge. Referee Robertson pointed to the spot and Rory McAllister promptly slotted past Barclay to double the lead.

Clyde had to wait until early in the second half to see a clear sight of goal and when McCluskey raced towards keeper Paul Jarvie the Clyde support rose to their feet in anticipation of the frontman's shot. But McCluskey fooled everyone when he cut inside a desperate Peterhead defender and seemed to hesitate before hitting the ball straight at the keeper. Had it gone in, it could have sparked a revival of Links Park proportions but instead McCluskey trotted away with a forlorn look that was replicated on the terracing.

Soon after that Peterhead had the ball in the back of the net a third time but the officials called it right when they ruled offside Martin Bavidge's close range finish.

A burst of pace from the lively Stuart McColm offered Clyde hope as he raced deep into Peterhead territory but as the visiting defence backed off McColm failed to test Jarvie with a wayward drive that just about summed up Clyde's afternoon.

Kevin Watt added some energy to the frontline when he replaced Masterton and was unlucky not to pull a goal back with a low drive that brought out the best in Jarvie. The last chance to reduce the deficit fell to Neil but the midfielder's back post header was off target but even so there were enough positive moments during the match to suggest The Bully Wee's prognosis isn't all doom and gloom.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights