Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Brechin City 2 v 4 Clyde

Match Type: League Cup
Venue: Glebe Park
Date: Saturday, 30th July 2011
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 402
Referee: M Northcroft
Brechin City


Brechin City   Clyde
(26) McKenna McLaughlan (20) O.G.
(114) King Sweeney (97) pen.
  Archdeacon (105)
  Gray (119)

Hide Line-ups

Brechin City   Clyde
Nelson Hutchison
McClune Gray
Dunlop Sharp
Yellow Card McLaughlan Scullion Yellow Card
Red Card Buist McQueen
Janczyk Sweeney (113)
(69) McKenna Neill
Brady Hay Yellow Card
Yellow Card (63) Weir McDonald (79)
Molloy Cusack
(86) Carcary Irvine (71)
(86) King Tully (113)
Scott McCue
(69) McManus Archdeacon (71)
McLean Brown (79)
(63) Lister Fitzpatrick

Hide Match Report

The Bully Wee progressed to the Second Round of the Scottish Communities League Cup this afternoon, after a fine win at Brechin City.

Clyde started the match brightly and almost scored inside the first minute, with Steph McDonald just failing to reach Kris Irvine's dangerous cross.

As the home side settled, JC Hutchison was forced into action but it was Clyde that grabbed the first goal when John Sweeney's long throw forced Gerry McLaughlan to put the ball into his own net.

The Hedgemen continued to press forward though, and got an equaliser on 26 minutes through David McKenna.

The second half, although evenly contested, was disappointing but with the scores level at the end of regulation play the resulting extra-time period more than made up for it with a flurry of action.

Brechin missed the first chance to grab the advantage when Craig Molloy blasted a penalty over the bar, following a handball by debutant Brian McQueen.

The Bully Wee took full advantage of that missed opportunity and earned a spot-kick at the other end. After linking with Liam Cusack, sub Mark Archdeacon raced clear towards goal and Scott Buist brought him down in the box. The Brechin man was sent off and John Sweeney coolly slotted home his first ever goal for the club.

Cusack then combined with Archdeacon again, with the latter scoring a debut goal and seemingly putting the tie to bed. However, the home side fought back and Charlie King scored to set up an exciting last five minutes of the extended match.

It was Clyde that had the last word though. With only seconds left on the clock, Paul Hay released Iain Gray who finished expertly to secure a place in Tuesday's draw for the next round.