Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 1 Airdrieonians

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 12th January 2002
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,692
Referee: G Mitchell


Clyde   Airdrieonians
  Taylor (28)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Airdrieonians
Halliwell Bennett
Yellow Card Mensing Henry
(64) Dunn Gardner (68)
Yellow Card Smith James
Kernaghan Taylor Yellow Card
(73) Ross Armstrong
Mitchell McPherson
Millen MacFarlane
Hinds McManus
Fraser Roberts (78)
Convery Coyle
Cranmer MacDonald
(73) Bingham Smith (68)
(64) de Gregorio Dunn (78)
McDowell Ronald

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson

Given the way the victory was earned on Tuesday night this was always likely to happen. Clyde provided a much better performance but couldn't find a finish. Airdrie took their main chance and that is how games are won and lost. It was good to see Ross return to the action, but Clyde were still without the services of Keogh, Hagen, McLaughlin ect.

Clyde began in a bright fashion and Mitchell immediately had a run and shot that went just wide. Dunn was next to have a chance but his shot went straight into the arms of Ferguson who was to have a good game for the diamonds. The game was good to watch as Airdrie's movement and speed on the break added to the excitement. Mitchell was unlucky to see his shot from the edge of the box come off the crossbar but it was looking good for Clyde. Airdrie were always looking threatening on the ball though and so it proved. Clyde's defence couldn't cope with a quick break. Halliwell did well to block the first shot, but Taylor following up drove the ball into the roof of the net. Clyde trooped in at half time rueing the missed chances and the performance of the Airdrie keeper.

It took Clyde quite a while to get going in the second half as Airdrie concentrated on holding the lead. Jack Ross was the first to have a chance but his shot sailed over the bar. Clyde had to go chasing the game and that was always going to suit Airdrie's fast breaking style. Fortunately there wasn't much for Halliwell to deal with as Clyde pressed for the equaliser. Convery was put through but his shot from a tight angle found the side netting. Hinds found space on the edge of the box but Ferguson pulled off another fine save. Mitchell then had a driven cross/shot across the face of the goal but nobody could get on the end of it. It wasn't to be Clyde's day and Airdrie held out for the victory.

Although a defeat is never welcome the general play and number of clear chances created was better than of late. With several regulars due back soon it looks quite good although Clyde will have to start finding the net more often. In the two league fixtures this year we've lost narrowly to both of the title challengers. Next week it's third placed Ayr and we're long overdue a win against them. The games ain't getting any easier.