Clyde FC Official Website
NL Leisure Advance Construction Scotland

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Berwick Rangers 2 v 1 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish League Two
Venue: Shielfield Park
Date: Saturday, 13th November 2010
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 432
Referee: K Clancy
Berwick Rangers


Berwick Rangers   Clyde
(79) Little Lithgow (63)
pen. (81) Currie  

Hide Line-ups

Berwick Rangers   Clyde
Peat Hutchison
Yellow Card Smith Park (82)
Thomson McGowan
McLean McMillan
McLeod Lithgow Red Card
Notman Paterson
(69) Gordon Finlayson
Yellow Card Currie McCusker
(69) Brazil Sawyers (82) Yellow Card
(89) McLaren Sweeney (86) Yellow Card
McMullan Strachan
(69) Little Henderson (82)
(69) O'Reilly McCue
Ewart Stevenson
(89) Ponton Mills (82)
Beveridge Waddell (86)

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde’s poor season continued as two late goals for Berwick Rangers saw them deny the Bully Wee a first victory since August.

With Neil Watt taking his place in the dugout for the first time this season, Clyde re-introduced Marc McCusker and Willie Sawyers back into the line-up after injuries. Kevin Finlayson also returned after suspension, whilst J.C Hutchison replaced the injured Jordan Allan in goals. The final change saw Ally Park start at right back as Iain Gray missed out.

Berwick’s form has dropped in recent weeks following their dominant start to the campaign and they struggled to make an impression on the Bully Wee. The returning McCusker caused the home defence a few problems but his first effort on goal, a weak header from Finlayson’s cross, failed to cause Mark Peat any problems.

McCusker then saw a shot from the edge of the box blocked but he soon was given the best chance of the half. A great through ball by Adam Strachan released the striker on the left hand side but after cutting inside, hit shot hit the side netting with Sawyers waiting for a cutback.

Throughout the match Hutchison looked confident and he did well to punch clear a dangerous cross by Paul McMullan. In truth, this was the only save he had to make throughout the half, albeit Stevie Notman should have done better with a close range header right on half-time.

Berwick began the second half strongly but Clyde’s defence held firm and soon the Bully Wee had regained some element of control on the match. The first chance fell to Ross McMillan but his shot from a Strachan corner was blocked by a defender. However, a goal was perhaps coming and when it did it was as a result of a quite tremendous strike. McCusker was tripped on the edge of the box and from the resulting free kick, Nicki Paterson teed up Alan Lithgow to fire home a shot into the top corner that Peat had little chance of saving.

For the next ten minutes, only one team looked likely to score. A Strachan free kick was knocked back into the danger area by Lithgow, only for the referee to blow for a foul by the defender as Sawyers headed into the net.

Sawyers then was gifted the opportunity to get a shot away but despite scuffing his effort, the ball ran nicely for Strachan who fired against the post from a tight angle. The chance wasn’t lost however, as McCusker cut inside McLean, only to mis-hit his shot and despite another couple of half attempts, the ball was eventually cleared.

This proved costly as Berwick managed to score with their first effort on goal. Finlayson was unfortunate to slip as he was about to clear a cross-field pass and the superb cross that followed from McMullan invited Ian Little to head home at the near post.

Within a minute, the match had swung totally in the Wee Gers favour. McMullan eluded Park inside the box, only for Hutchison to save his shot. However, the ball ran nicely for Fraser McLaren and from his volley, Lithgow leapt highest to tip the ball over the crossbar. The defender was sent off and Paul Currie slotted home his fourth goal against Clyde this season.

The final chance of the match fell to Berwick but Hutchison did well to stop Little as he ran clean through. Despite the introductions of Stuart Mills, Ricky Waddell and Murray Henderson, Clyde failed to dig deep enough to muster another meaningful attack; understandable, given that what looked like three easy points ended up turning around in a crazy two minute period.


Audio Clips

Audio Clips