Clyde FC Official Website
Rock Regen Advance Construction Scotland

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 2 v 1 Cowdenbeath

Match Type: League Cup
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 31st July 2010
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 667
Referee: H Colvin


Clyde   Cowdenbeath
(58) McCusker Ramsay (78)
(67) McCusker  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Cowdenbeath
Hutchison Hay
Yellow Card Park Baxter
McGowan Linton
McMillan O'Brien
Henderson Armstrong
Stevenson Adamson Yellow Card
Finlayson Fairbairn (73)
McCusker Cameron
(68) Dingwall Dempster (69)
Sweeney McKenzie
Strachan Ramsay
Girvan Stewart (69)
Allan Roy
Gray Brett (73)
(68) Stewart Ferguson
Sawyers Milne

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde earned their first win under Stuart Millar, with what could be classified as a cup shock against First Division Cowdenbeath.

The Bully Wee were able to give Murray Henderson his first start, with Ally Park recovering from a hamstring problem to start at right back. There was also a substitute appearance for Willie Sawyers following his superb goal against Camelon in midweek.

The opening period of the game saw Clyde retain the ball well and the Bully Wee soon created a good opportunity as Adam Strachan’s cross fell nicely for Kevin Finlayson, but his looping header cleared the crossbar. At the other end of the pitch there was an early free-kick chance following Park’s foul on Mark Ramsey, for which the Clyde player picked up a booking. Fortunately the set piece was wasted.

Cowdenbeath had a couple of half chances, with O’Brien and McKenzie both seeing shots deflected past the post. Indeed, the Blue Brazil were to rack up 13 corners in the match with most of their deliveries into the box resulting in half chances.

Clyde also carried a threat at set pieces and Murray Henderson missed a close range header from Strachan’s corner kick.

The pressure continued to increase as John Sweeney flicked the ball over a Cowdenbeath player before firing in a wonderful volley that was well stopped by Hay. From the resulting corner, Clyde had an even better effort on goal as Henderson slipped the ball to McCusker but his close range shot was again superbly saved.

The second half saw Clyde work their way back into the game through sheer endeavour, with Strachan unlucky to see his free kick cleared off of the line by Mark Baxter. However, although the resulting corner kick was cleared, Stevenson returned the ball into the box and, after holding off a defender, McCusker turned and fired a left-footed volley into the top corner.

J.C. Hutchison then had to do well to block a powerful shot by Fairbairn but the Bully Wee were very much on top and managed to add a stunning second goal. McCusker picked the ball up out on the left-hand touchline and powerfully cut inside between two defenders, swerved past a third Cowdenbeath player before firing a low shot from the edge of the box past Hay.

John Stewart was then brought on to replace Bryan Dingwall.

There was almost a third goal as, following Kenny Adamson’s foul on McCusker (for which the defender was booked) Strachan’s free kick was again cleared off of the line by Baxter. However, within a couple of minutes Cowdenbeath had gained a foothold in the match with a scrappy goal. Dean Brett appeared to be offside as he picked up the ball on the left and from his cross, Mark Ramsey had space to flick a header past Hutchison.

Both teams had opportunities to score further goals, with Marc McKenzie acrobatically shooting over the crossbar and a long range drive being deflected just past the post for Cowdenbeath. Clyde still carried a threat on the break and Finlayson saw his shot blocked out for a corner.

Thankfully, some great defending against a team throwing everyone forward saw Clyde manage to hold on to a battling victory; their first in the cup competitions since 2008. 

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights