Clyde FC Official Website
Rock Regen Advance Construction Scotland

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Partick Thistle 2 v 1 Clyde

Match Type: Challenge Cup
Venue: Firhill
Date: Saturday, 24th July 2010
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,759
Referee: S Nicholls
Partick Thistle


Partick Thistle   Clyde
(12) Buchanan Strachan (31)
(71) MacBeth  

Hide Line-ups

Partick Thistle   Clyde
Halliwell Hutchison
Paton Girvan (81)
Boyle McGowan
Yellow Card Hodge McMillan Yellow Card
Robertson Park (46)
Yellow Card (72) Kinniburgh Stevenson
MacBeth Finlayson
Rowson McCusker
(81) Buchanan Dingwall (65)
Yellow Card Donnelly Sweeney
(68) Doolan Strachan
Hinchcliffe Gray (46)
McGeough Allan
(81) Burns Cochrane
(68) Grehan Mills (81)
(72) Bannigan Stewart (65)

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde suffered a blow ahead of the trip to Firhill when Murray Henderson was ruled out through suspension after picking up two bookings in last season’s competition. Ally Park was selected at centre half, with Graham Girvan coming into the team that drew with Everton at right back.

Partick Thistle made a late addition to their squad with ex-Bully Wee goalkeeper Bryn Halliwell putting pen to paper. The home team also fielded three players who spent time on loan at Clyde last season in Kris Doolan, Pat Boyle and Willie Kinniburgh.

The match began at a typically frantic derby-day pace and Clyde took a grip of the midfield with Finlayson in particular showing his experience on the right of midfield. However, despite the promising start it was Thistle who struck first after their first piece of concerted pressure. From the delivery, Clyde once more managed to clear the ball out of the danger area but failed to gain possession of the ball. After a period of sideways passing, Donnelly flicked the ball through the Clyde defence and after rounding the goalkeeper, Buchanan remained composed enough to slide the ball past a Clyde defender on the line.

The Bully Wee almost struck back immediately as Strachan’s corner kick was headed over the bar by Connor Stevenson. Halliwell also had to look lively to keep out a deflected Bryan Dingwall free kick. However, the equaliser was to come soon afterwards and it was worth the wait. McCusker was fouled 25 yards from goal and, after Kinniburgh had been booked for the foul, Strachan stepped up to curl a glorious shot into the top corner.

Both teams had chances before the interval, with Hutchison having to react well to tip Doolan’s volley over the crossbar. Thistle were also awarded an indirect free kick inside the penalty area after the Clyde goalkeeper was adjudged to have picked up a pass-back from McGowan, however they could only find the side netting. At the other end, Dingwall found the side netting after a deep cross from Girvan, whilst the same player later fired over the bar after stepping past Kinniburgh.

The Bully Wee were forced into a half-time change as the injured Park was replaced by Iain Gray.

In the second half, the home team began to dominate possession, but shots from Stevenson and Sweeney still showed that Clyde carried a threat. Hutchison again reacted well to keep out Doolan’s close range header, but the winner came when Ryan MacBeth fired a low shot into the net and put Thistle through to the next round of the ALBA Challenge Cup. 

Audio Clips

Audio Clips