Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 0 v 2 Arbroath

Match Type: Scottish League One
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 3rd April 2010
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 635
Referee: C Charleston


Clyde   Arbroath
  Scott (9)
  Megginson (32)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Arbroath
Reidford Hill
Yellow Card Park McLean
Cassidy McCulloch Yellow Card
Wilson Moyes
Yellow Card McGowan Rattray
Stevenson McLaughlin
(73) White Doris
McLachlan Redman
(63) Sawyers Megginson (83)
(46) Gramovics Scott (23)
Strachan Booth
(46) Borisovs McGuire
Allan Morrison (83)
(63) J Stewart Nimmo
(73) Higgins Rennie
Lang Ross (23)

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Arbroath took another huge step towards survival as they easily overcame a Clyde side that now look destined for the Third Division. Clyde were without the suspended Alan Lithgow, whilst Kris Doolan and Paddy Boyle’s loans from Partick Thistle had been completed. The Red Lichties received a timely boost as Phil McGuire and Jamie Redman returned from injury, whilst new loan signing Mitch Megginson was also available to start up front alongside Bryan Scott.

The absence of Lithgow and Kinniburgh meant that the Bully Wee looked nervous at every set piece and Arbroath almost took an early lead but McGuire’s header was directed straight at Callum Reidford.

Clyde started to have a decent amount of possession but against the run of play, Arbroath took a crucial lead. A throw-in was fed back to Callum Booth and from his cross Scott reacted quickly to send in a shot that deflected off Neil McGowan and into the net.

Predictably, the home side then pushed forward looking for an equaliser and Darren Hill did well to stop Willie Sawyers’ curling shot. The Lichties almost added to their lead as after neat work by Doris, Kenny McLean flicked an effort towards goal that Reidford just manage to stop spinning into the net.

Arbroath’s poor injury record continued as Scott pulled up with what looked like a hamstring injury. With no travelling physio, he had to wait for the home team’s medical staff to deal with this injury before he was replaced by Steven Rennie. The substitute came on at right wing back, with Steven Doris moving up front having started the game in the more defensive position. Marc McCulloch was then lucky to escape with just a yellow card following a two-footed lunge on Aleksandrs Gramovics.

Despite this misfortune for the away side, their lead was doubled in the 32nd minute, although the Lichties were grateful from a helping hand from their opponents. A long punt forward bounced high above makeshift centre half Ally Park who then attempted to head the ball back to Reidford. Unfortunately for Clyde, the lively Megginson seized on his weak header, dispatching a low shot underneath the goalkeeper for a deserved debut goal.

This was to be the end of Arbroath’s attacking threat, perhaps as they realised that they were playing a side with the worst home scoring record in Britain. What followed was a thoroughly professional defensive display that ensured the points would be making their way back to Gayfield Park, with McGuire a standout at the heart of the defence. The Bully Wee attempted to mix things up at the interval by withdrawing Gramovics and bringing on another Latvian in Dmitrijs Borisovs. The striker had an impact on the game and had Clyde’s best effort of the match with a long range volley that struck Darren Hill’s post. Despite a series of corners and free kicks, Hill cruised through the rest of the game without ever being seriously tested.

Clyde actually competed well in midfield but their makeshift defence struggled throughout. Again, a team came to Broadwood and took the lead with a heavily deflected goal and perhaps this willingness to shoot is something the Bully Wee should learn. Indeed, another lively Borisovs appearance with a couple of good efforts on goal, raises questions as to why he’s only played a bit-part since arriving in February.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Video Highlights

Video Highlights