Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Raith Rovers 1 v 2 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Stark's Park
Date: Saturday, 24th November 2001
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 1,556
Referee: G Clyde
Raith Rovers


Raith Rovers   Clyde
(30) Smith Kernaghan (33)
  Mensing (82)

Hide Line-ups

Raith Rovers   Clyde
Monin Halliwell
Red Card Browne Mensing
McCulloch Dunn Yellow Card
Yellow Card Dennis Millen
Paquito Kernaghan
(62) Jones Ross (50)
Javary Mitchell
Stein Fraser
Novo Keogh
Smith Hinds (48)
Quesana Crawford (66)
Ellis McLaughlin
Miotto Budinauckas
Zoco de Gregorio (48) Yellow Card
(62) Miller Hagen (50)
Clark McDowell (Trialist) (66)

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson
Another game and another win. Clyde followed the pattern of the last couple of games of being under pressure for long spells but coming up with the goods in front of goal. Given the injury problems at Broadwood it was all the more remarkable. Ross, despite starting, obviously wasn't fit and on the bench we had the recovering McLaughlin and a trialist to make up the numbers. Any more injuries and Clyde will struggle to put out a full team.
For once Clyde started a game well off the pace. The passing and running of Raith's French and Spanish players was causing all sorts of problems as Clyde's midfield backed off. Halliwell did well to tip a net-bound volley onto the crossbar as Raith seeked the opener. It took Clyde fully 15 minutes to mount and attack and shots from Hinds and Crawford reminded the Raith keeper he was in a game. Kernaghan was unlucky to see his shot blocked on the line also. Given the run of play it seemed inevitable that Raith would score. They eventually did in wholly preventable circumstances. Millen tried to escort the ball over line when row Z was the better option. He was robbed and a quick cross found the foot of Smith to volley past Halliwell. Given Millen's good display at the back in recent games this folly was even more disappointing. It didn't take Clyde long to get back in the game. A few minutes later they had won a free kick on the left. Kernaghan rose above everybody to score his first goal for the club. The game really opened up and Crawford was unlucky to see his angled shot beat the keeper but cleared by a defender. Then it was Raith's turn again as a quick break saw Halliwell stranded and Kernaghan clearing a neat chip off the line. To the neutral this was probably an exciting game, but Clyde had Halliwell to thank for keeping the scores level as the half ended.
Clyde made a tactical change at half time. The ineffectual Hinds was withdrawn and De Gregorio came into the midfield. Keogh moved up to the striker's role to try and hold the ball up for Clyde. It was surprising that Ross emerged for the second half as he clearly wasn't fit. As it was he only lasted 5 minutes and his position was taken by Hagen. Clyde had to endure more pressure and a lot of pinball was happening in their penalty area. Crawford was replaced by a trialist (McDowell?) after 20 minutes as Clyde fans began looking at their watches and wondering if Clyde could hold out for a draw. Hagen was giving Clyde a bit more on the right though, and anything was possible. Then the game turned in Clyde's favour. With about 15 minutes to go Keogh turned the Raith centre half and headed directly for goal. A cynical trip saw the centre half sent off. Some teams are galvanised by a sending off but Raith seemed to fall apart. Clyde sensed blood and pressed for the winner. Following some pressure from corners Mensing was on hand to score the winner from close range. It was then gratifying to see Clyde close out the game in Raith's half looking for a third goal. Hagen came closest as his angled shot just missed.
Clyde ended this game with a trialist, two midfielders on one month contracts, left-sided Hagen at right wingback and the injured McLaughin making up the numbers on the bench. And we still won! No doubt another set of opposition fans will be rueing their luck, but Clyde can't score the goals for them. Last week Halliwell gave a goal away and this week Millen did the opposition a favour. The result is everything and Clyde are going the business in front of goal. A great result but Ross looks to have aggravated his injury and now may be out for an even longer spell.