Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 1 v 3 East Fife

Match Type: Scottish League One
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 21st November 2009
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 635
Referee: A Law
East Fife


Clyde   East Fife
pen. (55) Sawyers McManus (9)
  McManus (68)
  Linn (80)

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   East Fife
Reidford Ridgers
Park Gourlay (63)
Halliday Ovenstone
Casey Muir
Lithgow Staunton
Graham McCunnie
McLachlan Young
(79) Wilson Cargill (73)
Yellow Card Sawyers McManus
(54) White Sludden
(71) McLeod Conway (89)
Stevenson Linn (63)
Allan Brown
(54) Howarth Kerr (89)
Yellow Card (71) McKay McRae
(79) P Stewart Crawford (73)

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Clyde had the luxury of fielding an unchanged starting eleven, with Paul Stewart replacing Conn Boyle on the bench. Despite knowing that a win would move them out of the bottom two, the Bully Wee’s start to the game lacked the fight and desire displayed by their opponents. After a couple of early half chances, the Fifers took the lead in almost comical fashion. Marvyn Wilson’s poor attempt at a pass was seized upon by Stuart Cargill, who ghosted past Lee Graham as the defender slipped. Cargill showed admirable composure to play in Paul McManus who appeared to overrun the ball, only for Reidford to slip and allow the striker to poke into the net.

Jordan White then fired just past the post for Clyde but the truth is the away side dominated the first half. Cargill had a shot beaten past the post by Reidford and Gourlay had a free header 8 yards out that he could only direct straight at the overworked ‘keeper. The final chance of the half fell to McManus, who had caused Clyde problems throughout but with only Reidford to beat, the goalkeeper once more made a terrific save.

Even though Clyde barely troubled East Fife, the start of the second half at least saw an increased level of work-rate and enthusiasm. Paul McLeod had a shot just past the post before White was replaced by Howarth. Remarkably, the change worked wonders as the young substitute was clearly fouled by Mark Staunton when challenging for a Willie McLachlan cross. The penalty was converted by Willie Sawyers and Clyde were perhaps looking the more likely winners.

This feeling continued minutes later as a great move led to another opportunity. Ally Park played a good one-two with Sawyers and his cross into the box fell neatly for Howarth. The ball was laid off to McLeod but the ex-Hamilton striker fired a low shot just past the near post. Unfortunately, that was as good as it got for the home side as the Fifers took charge again with McManus once again threatening with a volley that just swerved past the post.

Defensive blunders have cost Clyde on several occasions this season but few can have been as naïve or rash as the one that saw East Fife regain the lead. With the ball on the halfway line, Robert Halliday chose to lunge in to try to intercept a pass and Cargill was clear down the wing. From his low cross, McManus was once more too quick for the Clyde rearguard and poked home a finish past Reidford.

The Bully Wee introduced Dave McKay and Paul Stewart in an attempt to generate some sort of a response but the away side were cruising by now and more calamitous defending saw them seal the three points. Halliday was once more at fault with a terrible pass towards Stewart and substitute Bobby Linn made no mistake with a neat finish from the edge of the box.


Audio Clips

Audio Clips

Video Highlights

Video Highlights