Clyde FC
NL Leisure Homes Book Factoring

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Brechin City 2 v 2 Clyde

Match Type: Scottish League One
Venue: Glebe Park
Date: Saturday, 14th November 2009
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 502
Referee: S Finnie
Brechin City


Brechin City   Clyde
(68) McAllister Sawyers (36)
(90) King McLeod (88)

Hide Line-ups

Brechin City   Clyde
Nelson Reidford
Walker Park
Dyer Halliday
McLean Casey
Yellow Card Smith Lithgow
Janczyk Graham
King McLachlan
Fusco Wilson (82)
Yellow Card McAllister Sawyers (69) Yellow Card
Yellow Card (72) Renton White (79)
Barr McLeod
Docherty C Boyle
Scott Allan
Canning Howarth (79)
Murie McKay (69)
(72) Cowan Stevenson (82)

Hide Match Report

by David Worton

Another late goal cost Clyde a crucial two points as Brechin City came from behind twice to earn a point.
The Bully Wee were without Paul Stewart but were able to bring Marvyn Wilson and new signing Jordan White into their line-up, with Dave McKay returning to the bench. As expected, the experienced Wilson made a difference throughout the game by providing a good level of ball retention and defensive cover.

Brechin had a large amount of the possession throughout the game but Paul McLeod was first to set his sights on goal with a volley from the edge of the box that trundled past the post. Next to test goalkeeper Craig Nelson was midfielder Willie McLachlan but he failed to catch his shot properly and the ball ran straight to Nelson.

The home side’s best opportunity of the half fell to top scorer Rory McAllister but after neatly turning away from Mark Casey in the box he saw his shot superbly blocked by Lee Graham. Despite their pressure, the best chances were falling to Clyde and Willie Sawyers missed a glorious chance to give Clyde the lead when he pulled down a cross from Robert Halliday at the back post but failed to hit the target with his close range shot. However, this was forgotten about minutes later as Clyde took the lead with a stunning goal. Sawyers played a neat one-two with White before firing in an unstoppable drive from 25 yards that fizzed into the top corner of the net.

As the half drew to a close, McLeod had another shot that just missed the target before McAllister was inches away from levelling after a powerful cross by Richard Walker. Sadly, the second half failed to provide the same level of end to end action as Clyde inevitably sat back on their lead with McLachlan guilty in particular of squandering possession.  The home side’s first opportunity came when a neat through ball released McAllister only for Calum Reidford to block his effort. McLachlan was then unlucky to see a stunning 25 yard shot thump against the crossbar but the equaliser was always coming and it was no surprise that McAllister scored it. Paul McLean appeared to have scored himself but he was superbly denied by Mark Casey’s block, only for the ex-Inverness striker to knock in the rebound.

Despite withdrawing Sawyers for McKay, the Hedgemen continued to dominate and Kris Renton somehow blasted the ball out for a throw-in when clean through on goal. On-loan Albion Rovers winger Bobby Barr then beat Robert Halliday for pace but again, with only Reidford to beat, the goalkeeper came out on top with a superb block. Unsurprisingly, Renton was soon replaced by Mark Cowan and the substitute was next to run clean through the middle of the pitch, only to be denied by a terrific tackle by Alan Lithgow.

Clyde did continue to have some sort of a threat on the break and almost regained the lead with 5 minutes to go as McLeod’s terrific volley from the edge of the box thumped against the exact same spot on the crossbar that McLachlan had hit earlier. For his persistence, McLeod deserved a goal and it came with just two minutes to go in the game. Substitute Steven Howarth released McKay on the right wing and his low cutback was thumped home by McLeod for his third goal of the season.

Sadly, Clyde contrived to throw away the victory as a series of hopeless punts down the pitch returned possession to the home side who piled on the pressure. Gary Fusco had time to pick out a cross that McAllister knocked down to Charlie King and the experienced wide-man made no mistake with a powerful volley.

With results elsewhere in the division going against Clyde, the dropped points recently are starting to see the Bully Wee being left adrift at the bottom of the table. With the next two games being at home against the teams directly above them, this is undoubtedly the most crucial few weeks of Clyde’s season.

Audio Clips

Audio Clips