Clyde FC
Homes Book Factoring Whitemoss Dental Practice

CFC Owners

Sign Up Log In

Clyde 3 v 1 Partick Thistle

Match Type: Scottish Championship
Venue: Broadwood Stadium
Date: Saturday, 17th November 2001
Kick Off: 3:00pm
Attendance: 3,555
Referee: D Smith
Partick Thistle


Clyde   Partick Thistle
(5) Mitchell Hardie (63)
(40) Keogh  
(46) Mitchell  

Hide Line-ups

Clyde   Partick Thistle
Halliwell Arthur
Mensing Paterson Yellow Card
Dunn Deas
Millen McKinstry
Yellow Card Kernaghan McCulloch
(66) Ross Dolan (59)
Mitchell Lennon
Fraser Fleming
Yellow Card Keogh Hardie
Yellow Card (75) Hinds Britton (53)
(88) Crawford Walker
Cranmer Archibald
Budinauckas Gow
(88) de Gregorio Huxford (53)
(75) A Kane Elliot
(66) Bingham McLean (59)

Hide Match Report

by Alan Henderson
Clyde continued their winning ways with another victory over the division's top team. It was sweet revenge given the reversal Clyde suffered at Firhill the last time around. Convery was injured and Hagen failed to make the squad also. So Crawford got a rare start and Fraser continued at the heart of the midfield.

The game began without the usual blood and thunder although it was very scrappy. Then with the first serious move of the game Clyde opened the scoring after only five minutes. Crawford collected the ball and headed towards the penalty area. He threaded a pass to the supporting Mitchell who buried the ball under McArthur. Thistle weren't about to lie down and the ever-awkward Britton and the impressive Walker looked threatening. Walker tore Clyde apart down the left and squared the ball across goal. Ross put in a weak clearance only for the ball to be returned onto the post. Fortunately it bounced to safety and was an indication of what was to follow. Keogh had a good run and shot, but as the half wore on Thistle began to take control. The pressure eventually told and Keogh was penalised for a challenge on Hardie. Britton calmly strode up to the ball and seemed to place his kick onto the face of the crossbar. Clyde's luck was definitely in when from limited space Dolan engineered a curling shot onto the post. Again this fell to safety. Britton then saw a looping header from a corner bounce off the top of the crossbar. As is often the case when one team is pressing so hard the other team runs up the park and scores. Just before half time some neat work down the right allowed Crawford to cross and Keogh to head powerfully past McArthur for number two. At half time the Clyde support knew that all the sacrifices and incantations had paid off.

Clyde didn't make any changes at half time and the fans wondered if Clyde would sit on their lead. They had less than a minute to find out. Mitchell fought hard for the ball in midfield and released the ball to Fraser. He took the ball up to the penalty area and fed the ball to Mitchell to blast past McArthur. Britton was quickly subbed as was Dolan who didn't quite see eye-to-eye with his manager over the decision. Thistle didn't give up and kept plugging away but given their luck on the day it took a mistake from Clyde to present them with a goal. Midway through the half a high aimless looking centre was put into the edge of the Clyde box. Halliwell started to come for it then stopped. The defence didn't read the danger and Hardie lobbed his header over the stranded Halliwell. Suddenly the nerves were jangling as Thistle thought the game was salvageable. Clyde couldn't get out of their half for long spells, but Thistles finishing was poor. On a rare excursion up the park Hinds did have a good turn and shot that was turned around the post. Thistle ended up pumping in long diagonal balls that didn't present much danger and Bingham who replaced Ross should have made the win more emphatic. Kane made a run down the left and passed to Mitchell who teed up Bingham on the penalty spot. Alas from 12 yards with no challenge he couldn't find the target.

This was a game where Clyde were under the cosh for long spells. They took their chances and rode their luck. In a few months nobody will remember how the game was played. The result is everything and we'd rather be lucky winners than unlucky losers. Now the glamorous work of defeating league leaders has been done we must continue the task by going to Kirkcaldy next week and put more points between ourselves and the bottom club.